STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

In The News: The Supreme Court Debates Gay Marriage

SpencerWilken123
“Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer.” This famous quote symbolizes more than the philosophic words of our 35th President. It portrays a message of finding our common ground, our compromise. Without this common ground, the division that results can be destructive. Recently In The News, the Supreme Court started to debate the case of Hollingsworth v. Perry, a case with differing opinions on both sides of the debate, has given my a bad reputation due to my belief that marriage is the union between one man and one woman.

My belief that marriage is between a man and a woman stems from my religion, Roman Catholicism, as well as my affiliation with the Republican Party. Once people find out about my position on this topic, they tell me things like “Separation of Church and State!” And I reply to them, “There is no separation of State and conscience.” My peers’ constant criticism of my practicing my 1st Amendment Rights has constantly damaged my reputation and my very image in the eyes of my colleagues.

Last November, during election season, I constantly saw people at my school walking around wearing “Vote No! Don’t Limit the Freedom to Marry!” shirts(in opposition to a ballot initiative in Minnesota that would have made the constitutional definition of marriage as that of one man and one woman). This irritated me so much that I even considered wearing a “Vote Yes! One Man, One Woman” t-shirt. However, I knew that I would most undoubtedly be sent to the office, which would once again be the very disrespect of my 1st Amendment Rights.

I’ve even gone so far as to declare my support for civil unions as a substitute to marriage. However, my position was still rejected, and as a result I was called names such as “bigot” and “homophobe.” I know that my country’s views are rapidly changing on this issue, and although the number of people who share my belief is shrinking by the hour, I will always hold strong to my conservative values. I do believe that someday the Republican Party will have to accept the fact that gay marriage is inevitable, as I can see due to the fact that many of my fiscally conservative friends have declared their support for same-sex marriage.

Sometimes in my life, it feels like the liberals always win, because they’re usually the first to accept what will eventually become inevitable. Even though I live in one of the most liberal states in the nation-- Minnesota, which is the only state that did not vote for Ronald Reagan in either of his presidential runs-- I will always be a conservative, both socially and fiscally, and while people will call me intolerant and unaccepting, I will always believe that my view is the right one, the very principle defined by the 1st Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy