In The News: The Supreme Court Debates Gay Marriage

SpencerWilken123
“Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer.” This famous quote symbolizes more than the philosophic words of our 35th President. It portrays a message of finding our common ground, our compromise. Without this common ground, the division that results can be destructive. Recently In The News, the Supreme Court started to debate the case of Hollingsworth v. Perry, a case with differing opinions on both sides of the debate, has given my a bad reputation due to my belief that marriage is the union between one man and one woman.

My belief that marriage is between a man and a woman stems from my religion, Roman Catholicism, as well as my affiliation with the Republican Party. Once people find out about my position on this topic, they tell me things like “Separation of Church and State!” And I reply to them, “There is no separation of State and conscience.” My peers’ constant criticism of my practicing my 1st Amendment Rights has constantly damaged my reputation and my very image in the eyes of my colleagues.

Last November, during election season, I constantly saw people at my school walking around wearing “Vote No! Don’t Limit the Freedom to Marry!” shirts(in opposition to a ballot initiative in Minnesota that would have made the constitutional definition of marriage as that of one man and one woman). This irritated me so much that I even considered wearing a “Vote Yes! One Man, One Woman” t-shirt. However, I knew that I would most undoubtedly be sent to the office, which would once again be the very disrespect of my 1st Amendment Rights.

I’ve even gone so far as to declare my support for civil unions as a substitute to marriage. However, my position was still rejected, and as a result I was called names such as “bigot” and “homophobe.” I know that my country’s views are rapidly changing on this issue, and although the number of people who share my belief is shrinking by the hour, I will always hold strong to my conservative values. I do believe that someday the Republican Party will have to accept the fact that gay marriage is inevitable, as I can see due to the fact that many of my fiscally conservative friends have declared their support for same-sex marriage.

Sometimes in my life, it feels like the liberals always win, because they’re usually the first to accept what will eventually become inevitable. Even though I live in one of the most liberal states in the nation-- Minnesota, which is the only state that did not vote for Ronald Reagan in either of his presidential runs-- I will always be a conservative, both socially and fiscally, and while people will call me intolerant and unaccepting, I will always believe that my view is the right one, the very principle defined by the 1st Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.