In the News: The Boston Bombings

Chase
What the Boston Bombings reveal about America

On April 15th, 2013 a pressure cooker bomb was left near the finish line of the Boston Marathon. A few minutes later the bomb exploded, lives were taken, and the feeling of being safe was gone. Soon after, the biggest manhunt in the history of the state of Massachusetts was put into motion. One bomber was killed trying to get away. The other was found and is now in custody. But this story should not be about the bombers. If the public media gives too much attention to the bombers they will miss the real story. Attention should be focused on the people affected by this despicable act. People should know about the acts of heroism that took place on April 15th. When the bombs went off all the civilians in the vicinity were in danger. Instead of running away from the danger some chose to run towards it, and put themselves in harm’s way in order to help others.
Once the bombs went off, everyone near the explosion sought to help the injured. There was a woman running the marathon that just happened to be a doctor. Once she got to the finish line she rushed over to those wounded and immediately started helping. Another man that was in the crowd helped a man who had lost his leg. He put the man’s leg in a tourniquet and rushed him to an ambulance. Everyone in the crowd was eager to help the wounded. Innocent bystanders that could have simply run away to safety chose to stay and fight to save lives. The events that took place on April 15th were certainly tragic. But, it could have been an even more horrific event if none of the civilians came to the aide of the wounded. The civilians that helped during the aftermath of the Boston Bombings showed courage and bravery. They should be regarded as heroes by the American public and more people should know about their story.