In the News: What to do with North Korea?

ar790
The USA and the DPRK (North Korea) are stuck in a game of pick-up sticks that will collapse if either of them moves. Talk of nuclear war against the USA seems to be getting louder in the DPRK, leaving the government of the US unsure of what to do.Americans, more opinionated than ever shouting out solutions seem to leave the government with even more uncertainty of what to do,
and others with uncertainty of what to think. Some of the different views of Americans can be shown in a survey done by the New York Times of 965 adults across America.

56% of the adults surveyed said that “North Korea is a threat that can be contained for now without military action”. This can be considered accurate, because there is the great chance that if military intervention is sent to the DPRK ,the DPRK may become angry with this constant “babysitting” done by the UN, and declare war on the US and South Korea.

15% of those surveyed say that “American action must take place immediately”.Yes, action must take place, but we are back to the same place that the government is currently at: What kind of action, and will the UN’s agree to it? For example many countries in the UN are in support of removing the DPRK’s nuclear weapons. But other countries counter this argument that saying if the DPRK’s nuclear weapons are removed, shouldn’t the USA have their nuclear weapons removed as well?

If by action the 15% mean peace talks, it is near impossible to get representatives from North Korea and the USA in the same room together.The DPKR has demanded certain preconditions before peace talks occur. These include : the lift of all UN sanctions ,the removal of US nuclear weapon strike abilities from that region, the end of US-South Korea military drills, and finally for South Korea to apologize for offending its leadership. These demands will not be met by the US, as they find them unacceptable.

21% said that “North Korea is not a threat at all”. Like all the other statements people agreed too,
this one could also be considered “correct”. Perhaps North Korea was trying to establish their relatively new leader, Kim Jong Un, as a brute “bully” that shouldn’t be messed with.

So the big question we still have is: What should we do, and what can we actually do? As of today, we, the people, cannot do much,but one of the few things we can do is to support research that will give us incite on North Korean military plans, so that the countries of the UN can make the best decision possible on how to deal with this dilemma.

The outcome of the North Korea dilemma will greatly impact the future of the world. This topic needs to be solved NOW. If not nuclear war could break out causing the world to literally crumble, leaving future generations nothing.