In The News: No Means No, Charges of rape from high school students in Ohio

rachelbowanko

No Means No

Ever since I walked among the shiny wood floors of Valleybrook Preschool at the age of three, I've been told by varying adults, "no means no." Ever since I walked among the white glossed-over floors of Timber Lane Elementary School at the age of five, I've been told that any variation of kicking or screaming or punching means no. Ever since I walked by the overcrowded rows of lockers at Luther Jackson Middle School at the age of twelve, I knew that when someone ignores you, it means no. This concept of "no" is drilled into the minds of everyone since before they can remember. My little cousin is two, and yet still, if you asked him, he would proudly say "no means no."
For some people this moral does not seem to have been engraved. Published on March 17th, 2013 by Fox News, was an article about two high school football players from Ohio accused of raping a girl. Not only did they rape a girl, but they also took explicit photos of her unconscious and sent them around. At the court hearing there were people testifying that she was conscious enough, and people testifying that she wasn't. Her own ability to say that she recalled nothing seemed invalid to the judges.
Rape is more common than we like to hope. Rape has been going on for thousands of years, and the message still seems to have not been received. No means no. Punching and resistance means no. Silence means no. Alcohol means no. Drugs mean no. Anything other than freely spoken direct consent such as "yes” means no. When going into university especially, I find that it's increasingly important to be aware of situations where one could be violated, and how ethically barbarous the act of rape is. In university, many people begin drinking and experimenting with other drugs and sex. Sex itself is nothing to be ashamed of, but when sex and drugs can be mixed so easily, the lines of what is okay or not can sometimes be misconceived.
The concept of no in terms of rape is more important now than ever. With so much protesting happening over the causes of rape, everyone needs to be able to remember some ground rules. No one asks for rape. Your clothing can never be mistaken as an invitation for rape. Walking around alone at night is not and never will be congruent to carrying around a large sign saying, "Rape Me!" Teenagers and young adults alike need to come together to be aware of any suspicious activity, and teach those who have been raped, that it is not their fault
Right now I'm walking the halls of School Without Walls High School, still being told, each and everyday, "no means no." Soon, I will be walking the open campus of a wonderful university, and I'll always remember being three, and being told what no really means-no; hopefully one day, everyone will.
Comment by Kanika Garg

Speechless! unbelievably great :)
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 6:02:41 PM
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! You’ve been selected second place for the April writing contest: "In the News"

Check out the full report here: http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandNews.aspx

Don’t forget to share your story and show your accomplishment on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media!

Thanks for submitting, and we look forward to your future submissions.
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:05:13 PM