In The News: U.S. Immigration Issues

lexie013
Discussion about the United States immigration system is very prevalent today. Illegal immigration affects all of us, whether directly or indirectly, and it is important that young citizens are aware of its effects. The most obvious effect of illegal immigration is the effect on our economy. Generally speaking, these immigrants, typically from Mexico and Latin America, will work harder for lower wages. This situation leaves fewer jobs for American citizens, and many of these same immigrants are on welfare even though they are not technically citizens. It is difficult to find accurate statistics due to the vague nature of the situation, but anywhere from thirty to seventy percent of illegal immigrants may be supported by the United States government. The Center for Immigration Studies places the percentage of illegal immigrants on welfare at fifty-seven percent. Their studies were based on families who had a child. Even if a child’s parents are not citizens, as long as they are born here they are citizens, and therefore eligible for government assistance.
This flaw in our legal system does not only apply to illegal immigration, but carries over into lawful immigration as well. Many potentially harmful people are allowed to enter the United States. For example, the eldest of the two young men who planted bombs at the Boston Marathon, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, was suspected to be dangerous before he entered the United States, but he was admitted anyway. Russian government officials warned the United States government that he was dangerous, and he was investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), but there were no accusations made. Tsarnaev was not supposed to be permitted to travel overseas. Not only was Tsarnaev allowed to enter the country, he was receiving financial support from the United States government even though he was on both CIA and FBI terrorism watch lists.
It is vital that young people are aware of our country’s current position on immigration policies. They are clearly not functioning properly, and it is important that we understand why. As was shown in recent weeks, our immigration system is far from perfect. Seemingly small security breaches and little mistakes can have a huge effect on our nation as a whole.