In The News- Global Warming, 2012 hottest year on record

bowen42
Without any pretense, 2012 was the warmest year on record. Ever. So why isn’t anything happening? As human beings, we tend to have a certain amount of detachment with issues that do not affect us personally. We throw things in the trash without thinking about where they’re going. Who cares about melting ice caps thousands of miles away? So what if the average temperature is three degrees above normal in the U.S.? It doesn’t feel any different! Anyway, there’s nothing I can do to stop it. I’m only one person.
This seems to be the attitude of many of my peers. It appears that a lot of people simply do not care about global warming, whether it is because they do not believe it is really a problem, or because they feel that they cannot do anything to stop it. I care because, for the most simplistic reason, I love winter. In Minnesota, everyone is so ready for spring and warm weather, and lamenting every new snowstorm. How do you think they respond when I express the fact that I am glad there was, until recently, still snow on the ground?
Here is how I explained it to one of my friends: no matter how awful snow causes driving to be, or how steadfast its continued appearance each winter seems, it is beautiful… and frail. The problem with a lot of people is the disconnect- global warming seems like something that maybe will happen, sometime in the future. Unfortunately, this is incorrect- this is happening now; it is affecting us now, and as a problem, it will continue to grow in size. Who’s to say that we will have snow five years from now? Who’s to say that we will have considerable snowfall next year, even? Not to mention animals already endangered in the Arctic and Antarctic. The damage caused already is extensive. Penguins, who live on ice shelves, reindeer that are having a hard time adapting to longer, warmer summers, and polar bears. If you care about any of these animals, it is reason enough to care about global warming.
Nevertheless, not all hope is lost. Anyone can do daily things to cut down on greenhouse gas emissions, such as riding a bike instead of driving, turning of the water while you brush your teeth, turning off lights, opening the window instead of cooling the entire house, and recycling. One pop can in the trash may not seem like a lot, but imagine a million people thinking that way. Most of all, raise awareness. Have the courage to be the friend that insists on walking to the recycle bin, even if it is not “cool,” or takes the extra step. Form good habits, because the little things really can make a big difference.
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! You’ve been selected a runner up for the April writing contest: "In the News"

Check out the full report here: http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandNews.aspx

Don’t forget to share your story and show your accomplishment on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media!

Thanks for submitting, and we look forward to your future submissions.
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:08:12 PM