STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

In The News- Global Warming, 2012 hottest year on record

bowen42
Without any pretense, 2012 was the warmest year on record. Ever. So why isn’t anything happening? As human beings, we tend to have a certain amount of detachment with issues that do not affect us personally. We throw things in the trash without thinking about where they’re going. Who cares about melting ice caps thousands of miles away? So what if the average temperature is three degrees above normal in the U.S.? It doesn’t feel any different! Anyway, there’s nothing I can do to stop it. I’m only one person.
This seems to be the attitude of many of my peers. It appears that a lot of people simply do not care about global warming, whether it is because they do not believe it is really a problem, or because they feel that they cannot do anything to stop it. I care because, for the most simplistic reason, I love winter. In Minnesota, everyone is so ready for spring and warm weather, and lamenting every new snowstorm. How do you think they respond when I express the fact that I am glad there was, until recently, still snow on the ground?
Here is how I explained it to one of my friends: no matter how awful snow causes driving to be, or how steadfast its continued appearance each winter seems, it is beautiful… and frail. The problem with a lot of people is the disconnect- global warming seems like something that maybe will happen, sometime in the future. Unfortunately, this is incorrect- this is happening now; it is affecting us now, and as a problem, it will continue to grow in size. Who’s to say that we will have snow five years from now? Who’s to say that we will have considerable snowfall next year, even? Not to mention animals already endangered in the Arctic and Antarctic. The damage caused already is extensive. Penguins, who live on ice shelves, reindeer that are having a hard time adapting to longer, warmer summers, and polar bears. If you care about any of these animals, it is reason enough to care about global warming.
Nevertheless, not all hope is lost. Anyone can do daily things to cut down on greenhouse gas emissions, such as riding a bike instead of driving, turning of the water while you brush your teeth, turning off lights, opening the window instead of cooling the entire house, and recycling. One pop can in the trash may not seem like a lot, but imagine a million people thinking that way. Most of all, raise awareness. Have the courage to be the friend that insists on walking to the recycle bin, even if it is not “cool,” or takes the extra step. Form good habits, because the little things really can make a big difference.
Rate this:
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! You’ve been selected a runner up for the April writing contest: "In the News"

Check out the full report here: http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandNews.aspx

Don’t forget to share your story and show your accomplishment on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media!

Thanks for submitting, and we look forward to your future submissions.
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:08:12 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy