In the News: Newtown families make impassioned plea for gun control legislation

Tyler Hammett
In the News “Gun Control Legislation Gradually Becomes A Necessity, But Why?

After the tragic even that occurred in Newtown Connecticut, families are making more of a proactive effort to gain gun control laws. Virginia Tech, Columbine, Aurora, and Newtown are all perfect and well supported real life examples, of why the country needs gun control laws. The count of innocent lives taken in this country, due to events such as those listed above, is way too high, and needs to be reduced, or even decimated. The common feature of “Gun Control” that people fail to understand, is that guns don’t really kill people, people kill people.
A common tool in statistics is the test of linear regression. This test allows you to test the relationship between one quantitative variable, and another, and see how related they are too one another. Within the calculation, it is also possible to find how much of the one variable is responsible for the change in the other variable. Now apply gun control to that calculation. “The number of people with guns accounts for “blank” percent increase in number of Innocent deaths”. Its clear, that no one person can conclude that percentage to be high, because there are clearly too many other variables that could easily influence a shooting. Violent video games, mental disorders/chemical imbalances (Virginia Tech), anger, abused childhood, the list simply can go on and on. Thus presenting the most frustrating point of people wanting these “gun control legislations” there is no way to link guns to deaths. Yes of course in a physical sense guns kill people, but there will always be some sort of reasoning behind why the kill took place to begin with. Simply saying that this reason is because people have possession of fire arms is outlandish.
Another Issue that gun control presents is that its discussion in politics misleads people, mainly youth. Politicians make guns to be so violent and yes they are, but in addition to this, they also link the gun control laws to death. People see flashes of this on the news and instantly say that gun control is bad or it is good. It would be very effective to actually educate the youth on issues like this so that in ten to twenty years when this generation of teenagers and children are adults, they can actually make a difference in managing and controlling our country for the better. In addition to this, gun control isn’t the only issue that needs to be discussed schools more. Topics such as gay marriage, abortion laws, and other social issues should be discussed as well.
Columbine was one of the most tragic events people had ever seen. Along came Virginia Tech, which had scared even more people. The movie theatre shooting in Colorado was it, no one thought something like that would happen again, but surely enough along came Newtown. Yes, these events will keep happening, but society has to understand specifically why they are occurring.

Comment by TheGirlWhuRuns

Very well said, that the emphasis should be on educating teens in order to prevent the violence. This is a much more mature route than many politicians take, and one that would "reach across the aisle" between the two parties. Consider becoming a congressman?
Posted: Wednesday, May 1, 2013 1:50:20 AM