In the News: A Bombing Affects a Nation

tigers29
In the News: A Bombing Affects a Nation

On April 15, 2013, all was going well and peaceful like the typical annual marathon in Boston, and runners were joyfully crossing the finish line until two bombs exploded at 2:49 p.m. at the finish line. The bombs killed 3 people and left more than two hundred fifty innocent runners injured. The nation felt a blow of shock and despair, but did not lose their patriotism or support of their country; in fact, however, we have come closer as a country just like we did after 9/11 and how we always will no matter what catastrophe. Respect was shown in sports also as the Boston Celtics and the Red Sox both honored the victims and first responders before their first games since the incident. Just like how saying one word can positively affect a person for the rest of their day, support also can go a long way in a person’s heart. When I was in the fifth grade, I became very sick and had to sit in a hospital bed for an entire week the first week of school. One of the most vivid things I remember is the support I received from my classmates. Each one of them wrote a get well card to me, and though it might seem as a trivial thing, it really hit home in my heart and helped me get through my sickness, like the support of a nation helped the victims’ families overcome their despair.
The bombings can be an example that young people, like me, can make a huge difference in the world. We can make a negative or positive difference; we can do something honorable or we can stray towards the path of the bombing suspect, who was only a few years older than I am. It is mind blowing that one person can change an entire nation. Young people my age should care about this news story, because it should influence them to not become like the young college student, but to strive to do something honorable and respectful towards our country. This catastrophe can even guide other teens and I toward looking in the career field of becoming a police officer or a firefighter. I care about this event passionately, because it is not simply a news story; it is an attempt of a cowardly act intended to bring down and tear apart a nation, but we are not just any ordinary nation- we are America. We will never back down from any threat or incident like this bombing, but most importantly we will always show our support and patriotism through any crisis.