STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

In the News: A Bombing Affects a Nation

tigers29
In the News: A Bombing Affects a Nation

On April 15, 2013, all was going well and peaceful like the typical annual marathon in Boston, and runners were joyfully crossing the finish line until two bombs exploded at 2:49 p.m. at the finish line. The bombs killed 3 people and left more than two hundred fifty innocent runners injured. The nation felt a blow of shock and despair, but did not lose their patriotism or support of their country; in fact, however, we have come closer as a country just like we did after 9/11 and how we always will no matter what catastrophe. Respect was shown in sports also as the Boston Celtics and the Red Sox both honored the victims and first responders before their first games since the incident. Just like how saying one word can positively affect a person for the rest of their day, support also can go a long way in a person’s heart. When I was in the fifth grade, I became very sick and had to sit in a hospital bed for an entire week the first week of school. One of the most vivid things I remember is the support I received from my classmates. Each one of them wrote a get well card to me, and though it might seem as a trivial thing, it really hit home in my heart and helped me get through my sickness, like the support of a nation helped the victims’ families overcome their despair.
The bombings can be an example that young people, like me, can make a huge difference in the world. We can make a negative or positive difference; we can do something honorable or we can stray towards the path of the bombing suspect, who was only a few years older than I am. It is mind blowing that one person can change an entire nation. Young people my age should care about this news story, because it should influence them to not become like the young college student, but to strive to do something honorable and respectful towards our country. This catastrophe can even guide other teens and I toward looking in the career field of becoming a police officer or a firefighter. I care about this event passionately, because it is not simply a news story; it is an attempt of a cowardly act intended to bring down and tear apart a nation, but we are not just any ordinary nation- we are America. We will never back down from any threat or incident like this bombing, but most importantly we will always show our support and patriotism through any crisis.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy