In the News: Why We Should Care About the News?

robert041
Today’s society is fast paced and very dynamic. It seems that at any given moment there is an event taking place somewhere in the world that makes you stop and take notice. The North Korean Missile Crisis, the Boston Marathon Bombing, a Supreme Court case, the examples are endless. With all of these different news breaking headlines, it leaves me to wonder why more people in the United States do not engross themselves more fully into the news. I feel so strongly about this issue that in fact, I would go further to say, a person has a moral obligation to know what is going on in the world. In the words of Ben Franklin, “Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.”
A careful study of the news headlines is essential in assisting the American public in forming their opinions regarding many issues, none more important than political debates. In many elections, voters are uninformed and vote based on other people’s opinions, instead of the facts in news papers. The founding fathers of America did not want to leave the great power of voting to the people because they thought the general public would not be informed on politics. "The people are uninformed, and would be misled by a few designing men." stated Delegate Gerry on July 19, 1787. Rather than to assume the American people can not educate themselves on the important topics, I believe “With great power comes great responsibility” as Ben Parker in the movie, Spiderman, stated. If we as American’s are afforded the opportunity to vote, even if through the Electoral College, we have the responsibility to be educated voters by reading up on the latest headlines.
A more simplistic reason to stay up to date with the news is so that we can be educated conversationalist. All too often, American’s are consumed with mindless conversations about pop culture and not with matters of substance. We are more aware of the latest You Tube video than we are with issues facing our Supreme Court. A glace of the news headlines would tell us that there is a Supreme Court case about the constitutionality of the government’s ability to electronically monitor foreigners thought to be involved with terrorism. Certainly, given the recent issues in Boston, would that not be a better topic of conversation than the latest You Tube video.
In conclusion, it is important for people to stay on top of news headlines. Reading the news headlines can lead to a more worldly approach to our everyday life. The headlines not only help us understand the weather of the day, but they give us insight into a world beyond our own. By staying informed, not only are we potentially better citizens, but we may also be better conversationalist