In The News: Boston Bombing, Be the Helpers

jklawls
On the morning of Monday April 15th, Athletes from all over the world were preparing for the annual Boston Marathon in Boston Massachusetts. Fans gathered as the runners stretched at the starting line and began the race. At a little before three P.M. disaster struck when two bombs went off near the finish line of the event, injuring twenty three people and killing two. While we were all struck with terror after word spread of the news, many of us couldn’t help but notice that a few brave men and women were running towards the explosion , rather than from it, in an effort to help those in need.

I have taken to calling these men and women the “helpers” based off of the famous Fred Rogers quote, “When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.” This is why I believe that the young people of today should pay close attention to the events following the Boston bombing. As the future generation I believe it is our duty to become the “helpers” of a world that so desperately needs it. From the
Boston bombing to the Sandy Hook massacre from earlier this year, the world seems to be lacking hope, love and to put it simply, humanity.

When tragedies like this occur, many people begin to lose faith in humanity, however my faith is all too often restored. Not because the event wasn’t a horrible thing, but because there are always helpers at the ready. This gives me the hope that there are still good people out there amongst all the evil and wrong doing. So I have a challenge for my fellow young people, will you be the helpers?