In the News: The inextricable tie between foreign and domestic affairs

OliviaZZZ5
When we label policy as “foreign” or “domestic”, we inadvertently create the feeling that these are two separate spheres of politics. In fact, foreign and domestic policy are nearly always debated separately, with the focus cleanly and clearly jumping from other nations and continents to the heart of American society. But in the modern era of globalization, thinking of these as separate spheres causes use to lose sight of the grander scope of international relations and how, like a spider web, every country is connected and interdependent with the rest of the web.

Historically, until the mid-1900s, American was an isolationist, non-interventionist country. She watched from the sidelines, sometimes craning her neck to look at the action on the field, but eventually retreating back to the bench. This mentality all changed with the both World Wars, whose name effectively summarizes the reason for this change. Things now were, and would forever be, performed on a world stage. Globalization drug America from the sidelines into the center of the scuffle on the field.

Events in Libya may seem independent of local tax reform debates. Any connection between North Korea and health of American businesses would appear far-fetched and obscure. But in fact, these foreign and domestic events cannot be viewed as separate entities. In the spider web of international relations, even the thread from North Korea can span the web and come to tug at America’s position on the web. This interconnectivity is once again the product of modern globalization. But how?

Current in tensions in North Korea are notable and pressing not only because of the instability of North Korea, but also because our handling of small North Korea will inevitably affect dealings with giant China, who currently provides humanitarian aid to North Koreans and maintains a tenuous relationship with Kim Jong-Un. Obviously, America must tread carefully with North Korea in part for the sake of supporting the vital business thread that connects us to China.

NATO sent troops to Libya, the majority of which were American troops, ostensibly to fight against a dictatorial regime in al-Gaddafi. Most analysts will agree upon a second underlying reason for action: oil – the three letter word connects half of the web. Every country that does not sit upon sizable oil reservoirs finds itself tied to oil-rich countries like Libya. Countries need energy, buy foreign energy, and instantly find themselves centered in the global web. If Libya had descended into further disaster, if oil exports had been disrupted, local gas prices would have soared, and a mini-energy crisis might have shaken multiple nations around the world.

So in these ways, we can see how events a hemisphere away eventually tie back to domestic issues. The aspects of domestic policy that affect every citizen across every generation can somehow be tied to foreign relations. Ultimately, the future of the United States depends on understanding and effectively handling the nuances of foreign policy.
Comment by Girlboxer1970

well-written post!
Posted: Thursday, May 9, 2013 10:18:15 PM