In the News: Bangladesh building collapse

welcome2mysillylife
The world is falling apart around us. In the United States, we especially feel that way after the recent Boston bombing and Texas factory explosion. We as Americans are finally getting a taste for what other developing countries are going through. On the other side of the world is Bangladesh, and just on Wednesday, they went through an experience that has affected thousands of lives. On Wednesday morning, an eight-story building collapsed, trapping the workers inside the rubble. Frantic people are still waiting to see if their loved ones are alive and rescue efforts are still underway.
According to the article written by Tom Watkins and Farid Ahmed of CNN News, the collapse happened the day after cracks appeared on the structure. They write, "It has stirred outrage in Bangladesh over lax safety standards in the country's key industry." Apparently the workers were told to come to work even though they thought the building was unsafe; now they must pay the price. Unable to use high tech, modern tools, the rescuers are using what ever they can to help and rescue efforts have even been extended a day. It's been reported that, as of Friday, the death toll is 307, 595 are still missing, and 2,400 have been rescued.
This story impacted me because I had no knowledge of it until I did a little research. Now, after reading and looking at pictures, my hearts goes out to the poor, helpless people who are caught in this tragedy. These are regular people who just went to work, and now some are dead, some are gravely wounded, and others now have extremely worried and distraught families. Sometimes I forget that there's so much more happening in the world outside of my rather safe area. When I learned about this story, it gave me new knowledge and perspective.
I think it's important for students to be aware of the issues in the world around them. They need to gain new insight and knowledge. I also think that knowing about what is going on in the world unites us as human beings. This story is definitely one we can sympathize with and these are people who could use some support.
I remain hopeful that the remaining survivors will be rescued and that those mourning for their family and friends will receive comfort. If issues like this come onto more peoples' radar and if people start questioning, discussing, and sympathizing, maybe the low standards of work will be improved. We are all on this earth together and it's our responsibility to work together to make it a better place.