STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

In the News: Bangladesh building collapse

welcome2mysillylife
The world is falling apart around us. In the United States, we especially feel that way after the recent Boston bombing and Texas factory explosion. We as Americans are finally getting a taste for what other developing countries are going through. On the other side of the world is Bangladesh, and just on Wednesday, they went through an experience that has affected thousands of lives. On Wednesday morning, an eight-story building collapsed, trapping the workers inside the rubble. Frantic people are still waiting to see if their loved ones are alive and rescue efforts are still underway.
According to the article written by Tom Watkins and Farid Ahmed of CNN News, the collapse happened the day after cracks appeared on the structure. They write, "It has stirred outrage in Bangladesh over lax safety standards in the country's key industry." Apparently the workers were told to come to work even though they thought the building was unsafe; now they must pay the price. Unable to use high tech, modern tools, the rescuers are using what ever they can to help and rescue efforts have even been extended a day. It's been reported that, as of Friday, the death toll is 307, 595 are still missing, and 2,400 have been rescued.
This story impacted me because I had no knowledge of it until I did a little research. Now, after reading and looking at pictures, my hearts goes out to the poor, helpless people who are caught in this tragedy. These are regular people who just went to work, and now some are dead, some are gravely wounded, and others now have extremely worried and distraught families. Sometimes I forget that there's so much more happening in the world outside of my rather safe area. When I learned about this story, it gave me new knowledge and perspective.
I think it's important for students to be aware of the issues in the world around them. They need to gain new insight and knowledge. I also think that knowing about what is going on in the world unites us as human beings. This story is definitely one we can sympathize with and these are people who could use some support.
I remain hopeful that the remaining survivors will be rescued and that those mourning for their family and friends will receive comfort. If issues like this come onto more peoples' radar and if people start questioning, discussing, and sympathizing, maybe the low standards of work will be improved. We are all on this earth together and it's our responsibility to work together to make it a better place.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy