In the News: Safety First

bschmidt
Safety First
In today’s corrupt society, safety is no longer guaranteed to the citizens of the United States. Each morning one wakes up; there is some new story of a shooter or terrorist, attacking innocent people in a public place. Zealot fanatics are attacking schools, colleges and even some public events. Everywhere one goes at this point in time, there is some sort of threat. Radical extremist are no longer sticking to guns as their main use of weapon, but have now began to use everyday house hold items, like pressure cookers to attack innocent people. As time continues, teenagers need to be aware of the news and the everyday events, which are constantly bombarding the media sources.
September 11, 2001 was a devastating day in American History. On that day, terrorist planned an attack on the United States, New York Skyline. Two highjacked planes crashed into the Twin Towers, slaughtering thousands of innocent people. Two other planes were also highjacked, killing many more innocent people. This incident shows that safety and comfort is no longer a trait the American people can live by anymore.
Sandy Hook Elementary School is an event, which will forever stay in my heart. So many young and old people lost their lives that day. From this incident, I see that crazy people will literally do anything. To take the lives of children, teachers, your mother and then yourself show there is some sort of sick logic in some people’s heads. I’ve learned from this incident that even with security, one can’t prevent an incident from happening because other whack people will still find a way around the laws and measures of security.
Even more recently, the Boston Bombings held a sad day for America. Two bombs made from pressure cookers, filled with shrapnel, exploded, killing three innocent civilians, and injuring hundreds more. The bombings took place at the Boston Marathon, a world-renowned marathon hosting many other countries and their people. As the race came to a finish, the bombs exploded, destroying the finish line, and destroying the comfort people can feel at public, yearly events. When events like this happen, it is hard for Americans, or other people in general to feel comfortable in such a hectic, scary world.
Each day, the world seems to become a little more crooked. High school and middle-aged students need to be aware of the terror, which occurs almost daily. By following the news and other current event sites, one can be more informed on the daily massacres and scares, which occur. By staying more informed on the topics, students could be more careful and ready when a real tragedy strikes.