In the News: The Boston Marathon Bombing

carlygoehring
Today in the news, most stories are intriguing because the newscaster wants you to feel for the victims. All stories are interesting in some way or form, but some are extremely important to better society. One story that I find to be important is the Boston Marathon Bombing. Most people have heard of the horrors that have happened to those helpless victims, and their hearts go out to them. What I find to be important are the stories such as “runners keep running to give blood” and “volunteers help victims”. I believe that teens should focus on these stories because they exemplify people possessing courage.
Pure courage is hard to strive for, and this is why I am passionate about this story. I often find myself possessing little amounts of courage, and after reading these stories, I have found that I have more courage in myself. I think of how I would feel if someone ran to give blood to me, and I can’t wrap my thoughts around it. These poor victims were helpless, and the unharmed runners knew this, so they ran to help. They knew that continuing to run could be harmful to their bodies, or even that more bombs could be hidden, but those heroic runners did not care. They found the courage within themselves to keep running, and I believe more people in our society need to learn to become more courageous.
Courage is found more often in adults, and I think teens should care about this topic so that they can be more courageous. Courage is hard to find within yourself, but it is highly respected. Teens often let others deal with tough dilemmas, and I think teens should take charge and become a stronger voice in our society. We can become role models for the young in our society. And by doing what? Simply showing courage. By expressing this courage, people will begin to look up to us, and our age will have more respect directed towards us. Lets face it, teens have little respect directed towards us because frankly, most of us do not care. And that’s just the thing. We can care. We can find courage in ourselves and show our parents, our siblings, and everybody else that we care and we can help.
The question is, how can we help? We know that we cannot rewind time so that this incident never happened, but there are things we can do. We can step up, show our courage, and go out into society. We can donate money and blood to the victims so that their medical bills are not so much. We can also raise awareness so that others can help the victims. But most importantly, we can send love to everyone affected, to show that we know what happened, and that we care about them. Teens, its time to step up and show the world that we care, and we have the courage to prove it.