In the News: What Seems Insignificant Could Be Important

Linz466
“If if does not affect me, then I do not need to pay attention to it.” This is one of these most absurd sayings I have ever heard a teenager say. One issue one might say this about is the problems within The Euro Zone. The economies in the various countries in Europe are having trouble with their currency and staying afloat. If one country goes bankrupt, then others will fall because they all use the Euro. This is most notable to Greece and Cyprus where the government simply seized the citizen’s bank accounts to keep them from going bankrupt. Spain’s unemployment rate reached 25% in the last couple months. That is the highest it reached in The Great Depression! Now, this is all the way across the world and so many teenagers do not believe that it affects the United States let alone, them. Many would also say that even if it did affect the United States, they could not do anything about it. This does have some validity to it considering they may not be able to vote or make major economic decisions for the country but they can study it and understand what those politicians are doing and why. The consequences of intertwining all of these economies must be realized and understood so they do not happen again. The economies of today’s age are increasingly global. To say that this is issue does not affect The United States at all is completely untrue. To use Spain’s unemployment rate as an example; if people in Spain do not have work, then they do not have an income, and if they do not have an income, they cannot buy American products such as Apple laptops etc. If this happens, our exports decrease which lessens our GDP. This could possibly lead to unemployment in America. Teenagers need to realize that history repeats itself and our generation will need to know how to try to overt these catastrophes from occurring again. As time goes on, the economies are only going to get more intertwined and the consequences larger which would lead to a world depression far worse than the Great Depression of the twentieth century. Some headlines in the news may seem trivial to a teenager but they are more important than they seem.