In the News: Shining brighter than the spotlight but for all the wrong reasons

jessicawang727
Eyebrows furrowed in concentration, outline of a calculator imprinted on your skin, eyelids drooping with fatigue, slouching over a pile of exponentially growing homework, why care about anything else on this seemingly typical Wednesday school night than flying to toasty, pillow-strewn paradise? While the majority of Washington students probably found themselves in a similar situation, less than 300 miles away, fourteen year old Eden Wormer was contemplating thoughts that had nothing to do with sleep. In fact, her head never even hit the pillow on the night of March 13th, for instead, due to consistent online and in-person bullying, she hung herself.

We’ve all had moments where we nostalgically look back into our past and regret our actions, whether it’s accidentally saying something cruel to a friend or forgetting to charge our phone before heading out for the weekend. For me, nothing hurt more than reading an article about bullying after denying a suicidal person, my friend, help.

Going back in time, I'm whisked back to that painful summer a world away. Clenching the kitchen counter until my knuckles turn white, he stands before me, so close, yet so far. The exchanged glower in our narrowed eyes and the flush on my face as angry hysteria builds in me fills the air with palpable tension, daring the gathering crowd of friends to intercede. The cutting retorts and bitter insults grow and grow...until he utters it. The word no girl should ever have to hear. It was the last I would ever hear from him until I received an email nearly half a year later in March.

"I am going to commit suicide."

There are no words to describe this moment. Nothing that can give voice to the strange sensation I felt when I read those six words.

What could I do? My tornado of different emotions, hurt, anger, betrayal, guilt, how could I make it just disappear? Did I have the inner strength to forgive him? Remove the walls I had built around my heart? That night, I was forced to confront my emotions and make a decision.

Now, nearly a month later, I learn the reason behind his choice to commit suicide. It all boiled down to bullying. To everyone out there, I just want them to know that reading an article on bullying isn’t one of those “Oh look, this person I don’t know just shot himself”. The story is one that contains life, someone who lost their life because the pain was just too much. I’ve learned from my friend that bullying isn’t one of those superficial experiences that one can easily emerge unscathed, it’s real and it has to stop. Those victims of bullying, brightly shining in the spotlight of their local newspaper deserve a different stage and a different experience to tell.

With encouraging words and a friend who stood by him, the previously-discussed suicidal person has turned his life around, is currently dating his first girlfriend and has placed in countless math competitions.
Comment by Girlboxer1970

I am very sorry to read of the loss of your friend. tragic. God Bless.
Posted: Thursday, May 9, 2013 10:16:17 PM
Comment by jessicawang727

Thank you very much for your concern, it truly touches me although I fear you have misunderstood. After I denied him help, something which haunts me to this day, he attempted the act. Fortunately, he was saved from true death. He has come a long way now and I am proud to say I stood with him after that first tragic incident. Once again, thank you for showing your concern, I truly appreciate it, knowing that people out there have taken these types of matter seriously!
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2013 3:59:37 AM
Comment by jessicawang727

Posted: Friday, May 10, 2013 4:12:11 AM
Comment by etiquetteguy

A very difficult subject seen from the eyes of an old soul. Powerful message!
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 9:50:25 PM
Comment by jessicawang727

Thank you for your comment! It brings me such joy to know that there are people out there who have read my work and appreciate it!
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2013 1:12:26 AM
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! You’ve been selected third place for the April writing contest: "In the News"

Check out the full report here: http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandNews.aspx

Don’t forget to share your story and show your accomplishment on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media!

Thanks for submitting, and we look forward to your future submissions.
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:06:24 PM