In the News: Gun control debates as a result of the Sandy Hook incident

mparlagreco
I think that the most important news story for teenagers and college kids to be familiar with at this time is the strong debates over gun control. Gun control laws were and have been a source of much political debate in the last century, unfortunately coming into the forefront and reaching higher levels of priority in the time immediately after a shooting incident. The most recent and prominent case of this is the school shooting that took place in Newtown, Connecticut, at Sandy Hook Elementary School. The shooting resulted in the deaths of twenty-six people, twenty of them kindergarteners. When this took place, the country as a whole was outraged, and many people voiced this outrage and sadness over the incident via social media and news outlets. While it is important in itself that people have this ability – to vocalize their opinions and make their voices heard – the resulting arguments that take place are of similar levels of significance. After the shock of the tragedy faded, the constant dialogue of remorse and sorrow over it turned to disagreements and debates over the establishment of stronger and stricter gun laws.
This is the news story that I find to be the most important right now, especially for collegiate and high school students. This demographic is one of the most influential, as it contains new and future voters. It is of extreme importance that the people who potentially decide the fate of the country based on their political decisions are informed and understand both sides of the arguments and debates, remaining up-to-date with changing events and being aware of the facts. I feel as if one of the most important things that a person can do as a US citizen is to contribute to the democratic system in place by voting. To do this takes careful consideration of the opinions on either side of a debate. There is no better way to keep up with such events than to pay attention to the news articles and stories that concern them.
In my opinion, I do not think that obtaining a gun should be as easy as it currently is, and that having stricter gun license laws and requirements could potentially lessen the amount of gun violence that takes place. This opinion was formulated based on factual statistical information regarding the number of yearly gun-related deaths compared to deaths by causes other than gun violence, as well as comparisons between numbers of annual gun-related deaths in the US (the country with the most lenient requirements for procurement of a firearm) compared to those in other countries. The numbers are astounding, and it is clear, at least to me, that this is quite a pertinent news topic. I think it should be this way for all people in my age group, as exercising our right to vote is the most significant way to make our opinions clear and voices heard.