In the News: The Tragedy of the Fertilizer Plant Explosion Leaves Americans Speechless

a_frank14
​Most teenagers in today’s world, including myself, do not frequently watch the news or quite frankly even care about what is going on in the world.  Many of them would say the news is boring and depressing, and question what benefit do they get from watching it. In order for our generation to succeed in the future this needs to change.  We need to start caring.  The week of April 15 opened the eyes of many. Opening that week was the unexpected bombing at the Boston Marathon, and then two days following this incident at a fertilizer plant in a West, Texas, a small town of 2,800 people, an explosion killed 14 and injured at least 200 people. The explosion registered as a 2.1 on the Richter scale and was heard 45 miles north of the sight.  The destruction of the explosion included an apartment complex, several homes and schools, and a nursing home.
​This particular story stuck out to me because something like this can prevented.  Whether it was caused by negligence or whether it was a fluke, this incident could possibly have been avoided.  So that this tragedy does not happen again in the future, experts need to find the root of the problem, which I believe they are working on now.  Updated regulations and precautions need to be put in place to ensure that something this tragic never happens again.  
​It’s important for teenagers to care about the current events that are happening in the world today because they need to know about the world they are living in and not be ignorant about the things that are happening around them.  Without a global perspective, people are left to stand in ignorance.  Watching the news also helps people form their own opinion on things instead of just accepting what their parents or others tell you.  With this particular news story teenagers need to realize that dangerous errors like this explosion could happen again if we do not learn from this mistake.