In the News: North Korea

collinsbrian72
Many recent news articles have come out talking and debating about North Korea’s missile programs and whether they are a threat to the United States or not. Some writers call for immediate and decisive action on the part of the US, while others think that Kim Jong Un is a weakling and is bluffing. Personally, I was not too worried when I first heard about North Korea’s nuclear testing. My view is that the world, though there are tensions between some countries, is too used to peace to want to start another huge war, especially not another one that involves nuclear weapons. But as I thought about the issue more, I realized that North Korea could be a pretty big problem for the United States and, more specifically, teenagers and young adults in the country.
The first main reason I am worried about North Korea’s plans is the draft. I am nearly eighteen years old and as such, I will have to register for the draft. Though the draft was suspended by President Nixon in the 1970s, it could be called back at any time by the current President if the need arises. North Korea might just provide that need. If Kim Jong Un decided to attack, the United States would most certainly takes steps to oust him and restore order, and if it meant the return of the draft, so be it. But I have absolutely no desire to go to war and I don’t like the idea that I might be forced to. It’s one thing to volunteer, but I don’t want to have to be forced to fight and possibly die for my country, although I have the highest respect and thanks for those who have answered the call and lost their lives. I know there are thousands of teenagers who share my same sentiments and they need to be aware that the possibility of war is all too real.
The second reason I am worried about North Korea is that, even if I don’t have to go fight in their country, they could very possibly destroy mine. Teenagers and young adults are the ones who will be inheriting America from the older generations and we need to realize that if North Korea follows through with their threats, we might be inheriting a decimated, war-ravaged nation. We need to be aware that the tensions are mounting between America and North Korea and we have to be prepared for the worst, while still maintaining hope that the tensions will not lead to a war that could destroy, at the least, two countries, and maybe the world.