In the News: The Syrian Crisis

kristintrusz
One particular topic that I am enamored with and that I think other students should pay attention to is the Syrian crisis. This particular topic is both fascinating and beneficial to be familiar with because it discusses the origins for the uprisings in Syria against the government under President Bashar Al-Assad, which entail the entirety of the Middle East and any potential hostility. The new should, of course, include objective viewpoints from countries with opposing governmental structures in order to obtain a story focusing on discussions and diplomacy.
During my junior year of high school, I had the honor of representing the delegation of the controversial Syrian Arab Republic in the general assembly at the Georgia Southern Model United Nations Conference. At the time, I had to defend the innate sovereignty of the Syrian government and view the prolific Arab Spring in a way that the local news stations failed to enlighten me on. Although it was obvious to me that the Syrian people were in need of relief, it was compelling to take a different stance and argue opposing viewpoints. I was able to learn about the Middle East and their allies and discover some of the origins for discontent. However, I truly enjoy learning about foreign affairs and international policy and I think that it is imperative for more people, especially students, to be aware of what is happening outside of our country’s borders in order to better understand the situations and the issues that we, as a country, are faced with. I think that convincing others to care about such a topic would not be as daunting as it may seem. Learning about specific current events appeals to a wide variety of students, thus benefiting numerous areas of study. Despite a student’s particular interests, being aware of controversial and prolific world events can add to their breadth of knowledge while having the potential to relate back to the student’s interests and help to obtain international career opportunities.
I believe that it is our responsibility as a world power to teach our citizens about the world through a less biased and more rational approach. Thus, I would like to introduce the idea of more students caring about the Syrian crisis as well as other occurrences in the Middle East. This news topic illustrates the benefits of linking both current events and foreign affairs, thus appealing to a wide range of students and capturing their minds through dynamic discussions in a comfortable and open-minded environment.