In The News: Boston Bombing

colinross9
In The News: Boston Bombing
Horrific. Shocking. Heart-breaking. These words raced through my mind as I first heard about the tragic Boston Bombing. As America’s prayers went out to the innocent victims and their families, I realized that while all my superiors and elders were so concerned about the event and people involved, my generation (teenagers and young adults) was not so interested in the event, but instead, the bloody, gory images. This came as a big concern for me. How can we not be traumatized and aw struck by this? Is this the type of world we live in? A type of world where violence is so common that you could say its even accepted into our society as if it was our own language or our own pastime. How can you not be heart-broken and disgusted by the actions of two men that cost an eight-year-old boy, Martin Richard, and many other people their lives and families?
Some might say that it’s an over-reaction to think and feel like the way I do, but it is very much an ever present threat. I feel that my generation should be more involved and concerned about what is going on in our nation because; we will be the new adults in the years to come. We need to start paying attention now, so that we do not make the same mistakes made now and in the past. Terrorism and violence is an ever-constant threat in our daily lives, whether you live in New York, New Orleans, or Los Angeles. You look back at this event and realize this could have easily been prevented. There is no one person to be blamed, but I think something has to be done about it. People should not have to worry about the safety of themselves and the people they love as much as we, Americans, do. Even the simplest people can do something to prevent this; it does not matter how small the group, but how loud the message is that they are preaching. To say that there is nothing that can be done here is nothing but a lie. We can start from here, pick up the pieces and rebuild, but this time we must come back with new ideas and ways to prevent this from happening: stricter security, deeper background checks on immigrants, etc. We as a nation should act as one, not only in a time of need, but all the time.