In the News:Life in America is not as Safe as we Thought

rmer317
Safety. In the wake of the tragedies of the past year, it has weaved its way into the minds of many Americans. Many different events have scared Americans stiff in the past few months that have brought up a concern for safety. From the Connecticut school shooting to the Boston Marathon bombing, the safety of our country is being questioned. Since many of these have involved young people, teens and young adults should be more concerned than ever.
Let’s go back a few months to December 14, 2012, a day that the people of Newtown, Connecticut will remember forever. The details include 26 people shot dead in less than five minutes with many others injured. We could also go back a little farther to the morning of July 20, 2012, where 12 people died in a mass shooting at an Aurora, Colorado movie theatre. These events have brought up a major issue in Congress: gun control. In the months following the events, President Obama released a proposal to Congress for new gun regulation laws. These laws include stricter background checks, a ban on assault weapons, a ban on high-capacity magazines, a ban on certain ammunition, and so on. Many people are in support of this, but many people, including the influential National Rifle Association, oppose it. Teens and young adults should be worried about this because it could help make their school campuses safer, or it could take away a source of protection. Whichever way it is viewed, Americans should be concerned because it immediately affects them. Many people also view that it is not the guns we should be worried about, but the people behind the guns.
We should also take a look at the more recent tragedy of the Boston Marathon bombing. This major public event in Boston, Massachusetts on Patriot’s Day every year, attracting hundreds of thousands of people, ended horribly with two explosions near the finish line and several more bombs found in the area. The day ended with three people dead and dozens more injured. The Tsarnaev brothers of Chechnya are believed to be the bombers in the marathon, and Boston police have killed the older brother and severely injured the younger brother. The aftermath of the explosions included a lockdown of the city of Boston, FBI leading a massive investigation, and the brothers being involved in a shooting one night that killed the older brother. Results of this terrorist attack on the United States included the concerning of every American, the increase of security concerns at major events, and the alarm of many suspicious packages around the US to 911 operators. Teens and young adults should be worried about this news because many large public events are made up of this age group, but they should not let this event affect their daily lives. There is no easy way to stop the hate against Americans from other people. Because of that, there is no easy way to stop these terrorist attacks. The London marathon recently occurred after the bombings and went smoothly, so we should not let this affect our routines and traditions because it will not happen every time.
Teens and young adults should be concerned about all of the recent attacks and acts of terrorism in the news. Resulting from that, they should also be concerned for their safety. These events immediately affect them and should be in their minds, but not enough that they change their way of life.