In the News: Alternative Fuel Sources

jacob.broussard.376
Nuclear power. Solar energy. Wind power. Biomass fuels. High school and college students hear about these and other alternative fuel sources daily. Many students probably think, “Who cares?”, but high school and college students should care because they use fossil fuels daily and because experts predict that fossil fuels will run out in 2060, during today’s students’ life times. So, high school and college students should care more about trying to find renewable energy because they use fossil fuels daily.

An average student uses fossil fuels countless times throughout the day. A student’s day usually begins when his alarm clock, which uses electricity that comes from a power plant that may use fossil fuels to create electricity, wakes him up. Later, he eats breakfast that someone cooked on a gas stove or on an electric stove, both of which use fossil fuels. He then goes to school in a car that uses gas and has tires made from rubber, which comes from fossil fuels. Then, he goes to class where he may use many electric things such as projectors, laptops, and TVs. He also needs electric light to see in order to read and write. He then eats lunch, which the cafeteria staff cooked using fossil fuels or he brought from home in a plastic container, which is made from fossil fuels. After school, if he plays a sport, he may go to a game in a bus that uses fossil fuels. The game requires fossil fuels for electric lighting and a rubber ball. He then eats dinner, which was prepared using fossil fuels, and does his homework, which requires electric lighting and may require a computer. These are a few of the countless ways fossil fuels are used on a daily basis.

If high school and college students want to find jobs after they graduate, they should be concerned about finding an alternative to fossil fuels. Nearly every imaginable business uses fossil fuels. For example, without fossil fuels, a cotton farmer would have to harvest his cotton, send it to a company that makes shirts, and the company that made the shirts would have to send it to a store all without farm machinery, trucks, airplanes, and motor boats. The company that makes the shirts would have to create each shirt by hand and not use plastic packaging, and the store would have to operate without electronic cash registers and lights

So, high school students should be concerned with the ongoing process of finding an alternative to fossil fuels because they use them daily. Even high school students who do care about finding alternative fuel sources often feel that they cannot do much about it unless they become scientists who try to find alternative fuel sources, but they can do one easy thing: using alternative fuel sources as much as possible. By doing this, he gets closer to the ultimate goal of not using any fossil fuels.