In the News: The Explosions Heard Around the Nation

luke.avenel98
On April 15, two explosions went off near the finish line of the popular Boston marathon. Two bombs made out of pressure cookers, gunpowder or black powder, ball bearings, and nails were set off at about 2:50 Eastern Time. These bombs killed at least three people and put over one hundred people in critical condition. The bombs were made by two brothers, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19 years old, and Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 27 years old, from Chechnya. It is not yet clear whether another person or a group was also involved; however, young people should still be very aware of this major news story. They should be aware of this story not only because of the severity of the event but of the other side of the story. The way that everyone stepped up to help in such a serious time of need.

The explosions gave many people extremely severe injuries, including limbs being blown-off and flesh being ripped from bones. Many medical tents were set up near the end of the race, and many trained professionals helped save lives. However, there were also many people that stepped up to the challenge and helped in any way that they could. One example is Carlos Arredondo. A bystander lost both of his legs in one of the explosions and possibly was going to bleed to death. The emergency medical technicians were busy helping other people, and Carlos jumped over fences and helped this bystander into a wheelchair. The man was still bleeding profusely because he had an exposed artery. While others pushed the man in the wheelchair, Carlos held the artery shut with his fingers and ran alongside the wheelchair. This is just one of the many amazing stories that have come from this tragic event.

The heroism of everyday, normal citizens shows teenagers and other young people the true potential inside of a person. During the tragic events at Boston, acts of charity arose from the people nearby, who could have easily fled the scene and run to safety. However, there is something inside of people that draws power and ability when helping others in need. Helping other people is an easy way to feel happiness and accomplishment, but in an extreme emergency, like the bombing of the Boston marathon, these feelings are ramped up to a whole new level. The story of Carlos is just one of the many examples of people helping others out in this time of need. Everyone should pay attention to this story to realize many things about themselves including public safety, the role of professional medical physicians and technicians, the need for help in the Boston area, and the overall severity of the event. However, many teenagers and young adults deal with depression and self-confidence issues, and this news story can show them that helping other people when they need it most can give them the happiness and accomplishment they are trying to find.