In the News: We Have a Pope

jcress
In the News: We Have a Pope
Habemus Papam. We have a pope. On March 13, 2013 the conclave of Cardinals elected Pope Francis (born Jorge Mario Bergoglio) as the pope of the Catholic Church. Pope Francis, who is now 76, was previously the Cardinal Archbishop of Buenos Aires, Argentina. Pope Francis is an international news story that teens and college students should care about because Pope Francis is a pope of many firsts, and as the pope, he holds one of the most influential positions in the world.
Pope Francis I: the first Jesuit pope, the first pope from South America, and the first pope to be called Francis. Pope Francis obtained these records from the moment he was elected. Pope Francis appears as a very humble, yet spontaneous man. He will do what needs to be done for the church, and world, even if it means going against tradition. For example, on Holy Thursday instead of washing the feet of priests, as tradition, he washed the feat of twelve juvenile prisoners, which also included women prisoners. Also, just recently, he appointed a council of eight cardinals to advise him, including the Cardinal Archbishop of Boston, Sean Patrick O’Malley, and Cardinal Reinhard Marx. Raymond Arroyo (ETWN Global Catholic Radio Network director) stated that “it is clear that Francis is intent on bringing the message of the church out to the world." Pope Francis seems unafraid of change, and is just what the Catholic Church needs to “re-energize” it.
Another reason teenagers and college students should care about the election of the new pope, is because the pope is a very influential person. Pope Francis leads 1.2 billion Catholics, which is over 1/7 of the world’s population. With all these to people to lead, the Pope naturally holds great influence. Pope Francis used his homily on Easter Sunday as a call for peace. Now while not many people were there in person, many people heard what it called us to do. The question now is will they listen? Also, the Pope is often consulted by various world leaders on tough decisions they must make, especially if it has to do with matters of faith such as capital punishment or abortion. As the previous Archbishop of Buenos Aires, Pope Francis wields even greater influence in South America and Central America than previous popes, along with the traditional influence of the Europeans.
Overall, Pope Francis is a one of a kind, very influential man. He possesses great power and influence, but he also bears great responsibilities with the people he leads. Teenagers and college students should definitely care and know about Pope Francis because he will probably affect their lives even if they are not Catholic.