STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

In the news:This is what happens when a 29 year old is put in charge of a country

seenevermore
If you’ve watched the news recently, you would have heard something about North Korea threatening to launch nuclear weapons. This of course leaves people with many questions- “Is North Korea going to bomb the United States? Are they a real threat? Why do they hate us so much?”
As for the answers to the questions, well, I don’t truly have an answer. No one truly understands the internal political structure of North Korea and we never really will. What's going through the mind of the inexperienced Kim Jong-un, a fourteen year old girl like me can't say. But what I can offer is my perspective on these questions.
For one, I believe that citizens of the United States are entirely too concerned about what will happen to them specifically. North Korea is so far behind concerning their technological capabilities, there’s almost no chance they have a weapon that can reach the United States. And even if they suddenly conjured up the ability to launch such weapons, I trust that the missile would be shot out of range before it could reach U.S soil. As the most powerful military in the world, North Korea has no chance against the United States.
Really, it’s South Korea, Japan, and other surrounding countries that should be concerned. Can a missile reach them? Yes, I believe it can. But will North Korea has the guts to launch? Well, no, I really don't think they will.
Kim Jong-un simply wants to prove to his country that he can be as great a leader as his father was. Kim Jong-Il was feared, worshipped, held on a pedestal that reached as high as heaven, and North Koreans were devastated by the news of his death. And here comes his son, young and with so much to prove. All kids want to do their parents proud, and in that aspect, I can see where he’s coming from. But then of course, not all children have the ability to launch nuclear weapons.
So is North Korea a threat? Well, they're a country crazy enough to threaten a world super power. They're more a threat to themselves. If the political figures in North Korea actually launch a weapon, the United States would most definitely not hesitate to attack back, which would mean devastation for the already starving, crippled country.
North Korea has an agenda against the United States because we are South Korea's greatest ally, and our support towards South Korea during the Korean War will never be forgotten.
To put it simply, I'm not expecting much to come out of North Korea's threats. North Korea has been threatening both South Korea and the United States since the end of the Korean War, from threats in 1954 to an ambush in 1966 to even their detonantion of a nuclear device in 2009.
This will be a time of tension, of threats and suspicion, but I don't believe this will be anything more than a second Cold War.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy