STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

In The News: Terror, Justice, Unity, and Bigotry

awdavis2014
The eyes of the world were on the Boston metropolitan area on Friday, as countless law enforcement officers put the area in a state of lockdown as they searched for the second suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing. When the suspect was brought into custody alive, Americans breathed a collective sigh of relief, and Bostonians flooded the streets, cheering and brandishing American flags. It was marvelous to see the crowds of people cheering law enforcement officers as they went by, and erupting into spontaneous chants of "USA!," and I, like many Americans, felt a sense of national pride.

But while this great display of American unity and pride was occuring in the streets of Boston, a darker force was at work as well. At several points during and after the manhunt, the terms "Muslim" and "Islamic" reached the list of trending phrases on Twitter. While many tweeters sought to defelct the incoming surge of Islamophobia with rationality and logic, they were soon overswept by a wave of ignorance and bigotry. Many people, including U.S. Congressmen, felt the need to emphasize the fact that the suspects in the case were both Muslims, and even prematurely speculated that their motivation for bombing the marathon was radical Islam.

It's an unfortunate tendency we have as Americans-or perhaps just as humans-to search for a scapegoat in the wake of a tragedy. Certainly, the uncle of the two suspects knew this all too well as he spoke to news reporters of the shame his nephews had brought upon their family, their ethnicity, and their religion. But why can't we choose to be different this time?

I believe that the greatest hope for changing this unfortunate pattern of blame and bigotry lies in my generation-the teens and young adults of the U.S. and of the world. We can choose to seek healing instead of vengence in the wake of great tragedies. We can choose to learn about and respect each other's cultures and religions instead of irrationally fearing them. And we can choose to see terrorist attacks as they truly are: Acts perpetrated by a few evil individuals, not by entire ethnic or religious groups.

Rate this:
Comment by etiquetteguy

Beautifully written. Thank you.
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 9:42:44 PM
Rate this:
Comment by awdavis2014

Thank you for commenting. It's nice to know when someone enjoys a piece that I wrote.
Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2013 7:09:59 PM
Rate this:
Comment by Kanika Garg

I don't belong to ISLAM. But I respect all the Religions equally from the bottom of my heart. Feels awesome to know there are at least some who feel the same, who live as HUMANS first!! hats off!! :)
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 5:57:38 PM
Rate this:
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! You’ve been selected winner for the April writing contest: "In the News"

Check out the full report here: http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandNews.aspx

Don’t forget to share your story and show your accomplishment on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media!

Thanks for submitting, and we look forward to your future submissions.
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:04:41 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy