In The News: Terror, Justice, Unity, and Bigotry

awdavis2014
The eyes of the world were on the Boston metropolitan area on Friday, as countless law enforcement officers put the area in a state of lockdown as they searched for the second suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing. When the suspect was brought into custody alive, Americans breathed a collective sigh of relief, and Bostonians flooded the streets, cheering and brandishing American flags. It was marvelous to see the crowds of people cheering law enforcement officers as they went by, and erupting into spontaneous chants of "USA!," and I, like many Americans, felt a sense of national pride.

But while this great display of American unity and pride was occuring in the streets of Boston, a darker force was at work as well. At several points during and after the manhunt, the terms "Muslim" and "Islamic" reached the list of trending phrases on Twitter. While many tweeters sought to defelct the incoming surge of Islamophobia with rationality and logic, they were soon overswept by a wave of ignorance and bigotry. Many people, including U.S. Congressmen, felt the need to emphasize the fact that the suspects in the case were both Muslims, and even prematurely speculated that their motivation for bombing the marathon was radical Islam.

It's an unfortunate tendency we have as Americans-or perhaps just as humans-to search for a scapegoat in the wake of a tragedy. Certainly, the uncle of the two suspects knew this all too well as he spoke to news reporters of the shame his nephews had brought upon their family, their ethnicity, and their religion. But why can't we choose to be different this time?

I believe that the greatest hope for changing this unfortunate pattern of blame and bigotry lies in my generation-the teens and young adults of the U.S. and of the world. We can choose to seek healing instead of vengence in the wake of great tragedies. We can choose to learn about and respect each other's cultures and religions instead of irrationally fearing them. And we can choose to see terrorist attacks as they truly are: Acts perpetrated by a few evil individuals, not by entire ethnic or religious groups.

Comment by etiquetteguy

Beautifully written. Thank you.
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 9:42:44 PM
Comment by awdavis2014

Thank you for commenting. It's nice to know when someone enjoys a piece that I wrote.
Posted: Saturday, May 25, 2013 7:09:59 PM
Comment by Kanika Garg

I don't belong to ISLAM. But I respect all the Religions equally from the bottom of my heart. Feels awesome to know there are at least some who feel the same, who live as HUMANS first!! hats off!! :)
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 5:57:38 PM
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! You’ve been selected winner for the April writing contest: "In the News"

Check out the full report here: http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandNews.aspx

Don’t forget to share your story and show your accomplishment on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media!

Thanks for submitting, and we look forward to your future submissions.
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:04:41 PM