In the News: Gay marriage

justinsmith333
In the news: Gay marriage debate has Washington torn, but there is a solution.
Every generation has its civil rights battle that represents the time period that will forever be remembered. The battle for our generation is the iniquitous ban of the marriage of homosexuals. Gay marriage needs to be legalized because it is not the governments place to decide who can get married and not allowing homosexuals to get married is discrimination, which is extremely unethical.
In the year 1787 the leaders of the United States of America drafted the Constitution to determine the powers of the newly strengthened federal government. The Constitution says nothing about who can and who cannot get married. Therefore, the issue of gay marriage should not be a federal issue.
Each state has the power to decide its stance on gay marriage. Although state sovereignty is crucial to a prosperous and utopian society, the states should not discriminate against homosexuals. By mandating that homosexuals are not allowed to experience the joys of marriage, the gay community is getting deprived of basic civil rights. The persecution of homosexual is no different than the persecution of African Americans, which was one of the biggest atrocities of our great nation. Those who stand with their picket signs in front of Capitol Hill trying to “protect the sanctity of marriage” will look as foolish as those who tried to suppress African Americans a half a century ago.
The main argument against the legalization of gay marriage is a religious one, which is understandable because our country has been and is ruled by Judeo-Christian values. There is a simple solution to this issue without any government interference. If a certain sect of Christianity wishes to not marry homosexuals, then that is perfectly fine. They have the right to deny marring those who they wish not to marry. That is the solution to this heated debate because then those sects that wish to marry homosexuals would be able to without any government interference.
Everyone has an opinion on the topic of gay marriage, but gay marriage should be legalized because it isn’t the governments place to decide who can get marriage and not allowing homosexuals to marry is discrimination. The United States of America was founded on compromise and it’s time we had another “Great Compromise.” Homosexuals should be legally allowed to marry, but churches have the right to deny marriage to them. Go talk to your congressmen, email your governors and bring this civil rights atrocity to an end.
Comment by my_life13

Gay marriage should be legalized because everybody has their way of living and who is to tell them they shouldnt marry someone of there of own sex? Its not the governments idea to decide whether or not it should happen. What happen to "freedom" everyone has their own right of way to do things. Nobody in this world is the same. We all have our own thoughts and ideas about what happen in everyday life. Although i dont really support gay marriage because i got to heritage to uphold and we as natives do not marry or mess around with someone of our own sex. If we do so then our heritage will be messed up and our culture will be messed up and maybe gone one day. But its up to them to make the choice, nobody should be there to stop or say no to them. This is what i think about gay marriage.
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2013 7:57:31 PM