In The News: Why Are You For Or Against Gay Marriage Legislation?

Nyamekye
My English teacher addresses me as Justice. I have expressed to him my desire to spend my middle years of adulthood enrobed in a black curtain wheeling a dainty symbol of power and authority. My thirst for social justice is unquenchable, for as long as humans exist there will be injustice, and as long as injustice exists I will yearn to eradicate it. The issue of gay marriage is an issue of injustice. I am glad to see that the Supreme Court is addressing it.

I have tried to ponder the ethical and moral implications of gay marriage. In the past, I have come up with conclusions on what I believe should be the conduct of others, but I quickly realized how asinine I was being. I cannot make people believe the way I do by telling them they are wrong. I am not even sure what I believe. However, I am sure I believe in liberal democracy. Controlling people’s capacity to make personal decisions, such as who they are going to marry, is very undemocratic. This is the 21st century; I thought that we were past the age when sin was synonymous with crime. No one is pilloried for breaking the commandments so why should anybody be disallowed from breaking possible Biblical laws.

The law of the nation is not a platform for a religious agenda, but a structure put in place to facilitate freedom of choice. The religious arguments against gay marriage are misplaced in rhetoric against lawful freedom of choice. I have never heard a story of a gay individual who became straight and changed their ideas about gay marriage because they weren't allowed to marry. Those who disagree with homosexuality should find a more personable and personal avenue to share their well-meaning beliefs. Targeting the law does not address the human issue; it only builds stone walls between opposing factions. If an individual really cares about the consequences of a homosexual’s personal decisions they should approach the topic with love and understanding foremost.

The Supreme Court’s deliberations are hopefully affirming the important precept of a separation of sorts between church and state. There is still room for discourse about the issue, but it must be through personal avenues, which are much more effective anyway. Those for and against gay marriage should examine their motivations; if people are totally honest with themselves they might switch sides or have a more solid reason for their opposition. Teens on both sides of the debate should confront each other from a place of understanding and genuine care, not blind hate and discrimination. The best argument is the one that takes into account all opposing arguments.