STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

In The News: Why Are You For Or Against Gay Marriage Legislation?

Nyamekye
My English teacher addresses me as Justice. I have expressed to him my desire to spend my middle years of adulthood enrobed in a black curtain wheeling a dainty symbol of power and authority. My thirst for social justice is unquenchable, for as long as humans exist there will be injustice, and as long as injustice exists I will yearn to eradicate it. The issue of gay marriage is an issue of injustice. I am glad to see that the Supreme Court is addressing it.

I have tried to ponder the ethical and moral implications of gay marriage. In the past, I have come up with conclusions on what I believe should be the conduct of others, but I quickly realized how asinine I was being. I cannot make people believe the way I do by telling them they are wrong. I am not even sure what I believe. However, I am sure I believe in liberal democracy. Controlling people’s capacity to make personal decisions, such as who they are going to marry, is very undemocratic. This is the 21st century; I thought that we were past the age when sin was synonymous with crime. No one is pilloried for breaking the commandments so why should anybody be disallowed from breaking possible Biblical laws.

The law of the nation is not a platform for a religious agenda, but a structure put in place to facilitate freedom of choice. The religious arguments against gay marriage are misplaced in rhetoric against lawful freedom of choice. I have never heard a story of a gay individual who became straight and changed their ideas about gay marriage because they weren't allowed to marry. Those who disagree with homosexuality should find a more personable and personal avenue to share their well-meaning beliefs. Targeting the law does not address the human issue; it only builds stone walls between opposing factions. If an individual really cares about the consequences of a homosexual’s personal decisions they should approach the topic with love and understanding foremost.

The Supreme Court’s deliberations are hopefully affirming the important precept of a separation of sorts between church and state. There is still room for discourse about the issue, but it must be through personal avenues, which are much more effective anyway. Those for and against gay marriage should examine their motivations; if people are totally honest with themselves they might switch sides or have a more solid reason for their opposition. Teens on both sides of the debate should confront each other from a place of understanding and genuine care, not blind hate and discrimination. The best argument is the one that takes into account all opposing arguments.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy