In The News: Learning Tolerance Through ND Abortion Laws

Nyamekye
When I think of North Dakota, I think of the color gray. I think of a gray sky hung low over trees dressed in shimmering coats of gray snow. I think that in the center of the “Roughrider State” is a bright red monument, a human heart that glows in stark contrast to the bland landscape. I have never been to North Dakota, but that is what I picture. I don’t spend a lot of my time picturing North Dakota, but in light of the recent abortion measures signed into law this image is impressed on my mind. The laws are said to be the strictest in the nation. Two stipulations of the laws are that all abortions after twenty weeks of pregnancy are outlawed, and abortions based on genetic defects are also illegal.

Abortion is a topic I grapple with. I am a Christian, and a firm believer in the sanctity of life. I vehemently oppose the death penalty, but abortion is a much more personal issue. My personal belief is that you become you at conception. In any case, I am willing to die to save my child. I hold on to the hope of uncertainty. If the doctors said my child would not be normal, I would not see that as a guarantee; that would just be a negative opinion I would refuse to entertain. I believe that though a baby lives in another’s womb, the baby is not part of the mother’s body. I cannot understand the “It is my body” argument. The problem I have is that though I want all babies to live, that is not the belief of many people. I cannot impose my beliefs on others and I cannot deny that a baby who comes into this world will face copious trials especially if unwanted. I see myself as that human heart in the heart of North Dakota, I glow with a passion that cannot be transferred to the masses because a thick coat of gray reality stands between my hopeful message and the gritty world-at-large.

The laws are right to me in principle, but reality does not always mesh well with principle. I think this is a lesson that teenagers can take from this development. Those who are staunchly against abortion should not allow the reality of the situation to be lost on them. Those who are staunchly opposed to the restriction of abortion should not allow the heart of their opponents’ message to be lost on them. No one should ever allow their opinions to bar them from considering the other side and acknowledging the value of opposing beliefs.
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! You’ve been selected a runner up for the April writing contest: "In the News"

Check out the full report here: http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandNews.aspx

Don’t forget to share your story and show your accomplishment on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media!

Thanks for submitting, and we look forward to your future submissions.
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:14:21 PM