“In The News”: Nuclear Dangers of North Korea

95emack
In the news right now, April of 2013, a lot is going on. We are dealing with gun control, gay marriage, health care, abortion, immigration, and so much more. The one thing these obstacles all have in common is that they are all within our country. However, we are facing one problem that we cannot resolve just within ourselves, the dangers and threats coming from North Korea. Teenagers and collage kids should be more aware of this problem in particular for numerous reasons. We should be aware of the situation at hand for the obvious reason that it simply involves our country and we should know what is happening in our country. We should also be aware because the problems with the relations of the US and North Korea will go on and we are the future generation of those relations. When we grow up and some of us are in the field of foreign policy, we are going to need to know the history, tendencies, and ways that Korea is known for when dealing with them. If anything happens with North Korea which results in the safety of the American people being jeopardized, the young adults of America will need to step up and fulfill their role as an American citizen.
In order for this specific age group of Americans to become more involved, they need to become more aware, and that is the problem we are facing, educating and informing the teens and college students about the problems we are facing every day that they maybe have an inkling about, but do not truly realize the severity of the state of affairs. In order for people to become more aware, students should be hearing, reading ,writing, and discussing these problems in school. Teachers should assign essays on “ What is Ones Role as an American” and “What is Your Opinion of the Problems We are Facing With North Korea” to get students thinking, just as this essay contest has done. Not only will these class discussions help educate and inform the students, but it will also help them develop their own opinion in politics. Having one’s own informed opinion is key. When these students turn eighteen, they are then legal to vote. They have the power to make a difference and to sway the vote. Too many young voters are not aware and have not yet formulated their own opinion.
We cannot rely on the parents to be presenting the kids with the news. And we cannot rely on the kids to turn on FOX News when in their mind, the news is boring and they would much rather be watching their favorite show, or cartoons. The teachers, administrators, parents all have to bring the kids into the conversation, but we as the kids cannot rely on the adults to present this information to us, we need to take the initiative and be eager to learn and educate ourselves.