STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

In the News: Gay Marriage Affects You How?

mdexter15
In case you didn’t already know, this is America. America was based off of freedom, and as far as I’m concerned, people still deserve their freedom today. Gay marriage doesn’t hurt anyone, anywhere. Everyone is saying no, but they can’t produce a reason other than they don’t want to change the definition of the word “marriage.” So then tell me, why can’t we call it a civil union? In my opinion, most people are taking the opinion of their parents and not stopping to think about the logic. So, do everyone a favor, and think about the logic; it can’t hurt you, it’s not contagious, and it would make people happy. Remind me again, what’s stopping you?

I’m incredibly lucky to have been raised in a family where being gay is okay. I am a 16 year old girl who is bisexual. I am out and proud, and my family isn’t worried about it at all. I have a girlfriend, we have been together for nine months now. No, I don’t really know if we'll be together forever or not, but the thought of not being able to grow up and get married to her simply because she is a girl sickens me.

The next generation needs to learn about this instead of just spitting out what they’ve heard. This is going to set the stage for the rest of our lives. Do we want our generation to be remembered as a closed-minded generation? We are the next generation, we need to remember that whether gay marriage is legal or illegal, it’s not going to hurt us. However, people need to remember that America was founded in the name of freedom and our generation needs to uphold that. We are going to represent America, we don’t want to change the view of America to being closed-minded and giving freedom only when it helps the country.

I’m not old enough to vote, and neither are my friends, but educating my friends can help to spread the word. There’s nothing I can say or do that is going to make someone change their mind, but I can get them to question themselves. I honestly believe that if people stopped blindly following everything they were told, they would see that this whole argument is stupid. It’s that simple. Let everyone know that all we want is equality, how can you keep that from us?
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy