In the News: Gay Marriage Affects You How?

mdexter15
In case you didn’t already know, this is America. America was based off of freedom, and as far as I’m concerned, people still deserve their freedom today. Gay marriage doesn’t hurt anyone, anywhere. Everyone is saying no, but they can’t produce a reason other than they don’t want to change the definition of the word “marriage.” So then tell me, why can’t we call it a civil union? In my opinion, most people are taking the opinion of their parents and not stopping to think about the logic. So, do everyone a favor, and think about the logic; it can’t hurt you, it’s not contagious, and it would make people happy. Remind me again, what’s stopping you?

I’m incredibly lucky to have been raised in a family where being gay is okay. I am a 16 year old girl who is bisexual. I am out and proud, and my family isn’t worried about it at all. I have a girlfriend, we have been together for nine months now. No, I don’t really know if we'll be together forever or not, but the thought of not being able to grow up and get married to her simply because she is a girl sickens me.

The next generation needs to learn about this instead of just spitting out what they’ve heard. This is going to set the stage for the rest of our lives. Do we want our generation to be remembered as a closed-minded generation? We are the next generation, we need to remember that whether gay marriage is legal or illegal, it’s not going to hurt us. However, people need to remember that America was founded in the name of freedom and our generation needs to uphold that. We are going to represent America, we don’t want to change the view of America to being closed-minded and giving freedom only when it helps the country.

I’m not old enough to vote, and neither are my friends, but educating my friends can help to spread the word. There’s nothing I can say or do that is going to make someone change their mind, but I can get them to question themselves. I honestly believe that if people stopped blindly following everything they were told, they would see that this whole argument is stupid. It’s that simple. Let everyone know that all we want is equality, how can you keep that from us?