In the News: North Korea’s Nuclear Threats

julia4rio
A current news story that most teens and college students should be aware about is the aggression of North Korea towards the United States. Recently, North Korea has been issuing threats against North America and South Korea. The involvement of nuclear bombs and missiles have been issued in these threats targeted at the United States and South Korea along with U.S. military bases in the Pacific. Some people believe that with these daunting threats, North Korea is trying to get concessions and aid from the United States like in the past, while others believe they want to be recognized as a nuclear state. Either way, these threats coming from an enemy of the United States terrifies many and makes people feel uncomfortable. It is important for all teenagers and college students to know that these threats are taking place because it affects everyone that lives in the United States as well as all Americans overseas. As a student in high school, I care deeply about this story and what is going on in North Korea. I care about these threats because as an American, having a target on my back like the North Koreans have made is very scary. It is also very frightening that a key place that North Korean has targeted a nuclear weapon is Washington D.C. This is also frightening to me because I live in the greater Washington D.C. area and if North Korea were to set a nuclear missile here, my house would get blown up along with me, my family and everyone that I know that lives near me. As of right now, there is nothing that others or I could do to help this situation. This all depends on the political system inside North Korea. What they decide to do as a country cannot be stopped by any one person, even if our country attempts to negotiate with them about a better solution.