In The News: GOP threats to filibuster gun bill highlight what is wrong with our government

awdavis2014
This week, the U.S. Senate voted 68-31 to defeat a potential Republican filibuster of a bipartisan "gun control" bill.This means that there will be a gun debate in the Senate next week, as Republicans and Democrats attempt to work together (insert punchline here) to come up with common sense reforms for U.S. gun laws.

But why would some Senators threaten a filibuster in the first place? Polls show that over 90% of Americans support instituting universal background checks for gun purchases, and current proposals don't even do that (hence the quotation marks around "gun control"). So why then would 31% of Senators vote to prevent the possibility of even having a gun control debate?

This highlights bigger problems with our currrent system of government here in the U.S. We live in a country where less than 10% of the populace can force politicians to pay more attention to them than the other 90% via PAC's and lobbyists. We live in a country where special interest groups like the NRA can control Senators like puppets, and where politicians are increasingly forced to pander to the most radical elements of their respective parties.

As a teenager who will be able to vote in less than a year, I want to be able to walk into the voting booth on my first Election Day and know that my vote matters to the politicians who represent me more than money from special interest groups does. This latest incident makes it harder for me to be an optimist on this matter.