STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

In the News: Gun Control Hits Home

elizcartmill
Since last December Congress has been fighting hard for or against stricter gun controls. The only bad thing about this is what happened for these controls to finally get debated about. In December of 2012, recently after many other shootings, a shooter went into an elementary school and killed 26 people, 20 of them were children. Why did it take something so terrible to finally get people talking, shouldn’t they have enforced restrictions after the last few shootings. Thinking about all those little children, many of them kindergarteners, being murdered is what finally got people, activists, and Congress talking, but it still goes unnoticed by too many people, especially young adults.
Last December I was at school when the Newtown-Sandy Hook shooting happened. During the last period of the day someone told me over twenty people were killed in a shooting and nobody believed her. Then I turned on the news. I still cannot fathom how someone could kill little children; it broke my heart, but it should’ve broken many other hearts. Tears come to my eyes when I think about all the young children at my church who need stricter gun laws for their safety. This debate of gun safety has grown very important to parents, grandparents, and teachers, but it hasn’t hit home for students just yet. But maybe it will when you watch the news and hear how many times the children were shot, and about the baseball sized holes in them, imagine that being someone you know; maybe now this will hit home to you.
Think of your little brother, or niece, or the children you’ve babysitted, or some child. You don’t want them in danger and you don’t want yourself in danger. As high school and college students we should be more concerned about our safety. Stricter gun laws, such as smaller magazines and a ban on assault rifles can make schools and other public places much safer. I don’t want another Columbine or Newtown shooting to happen before these laws finally gets passed.
Before it’s too late the young adults and teenagers of this country need to turn on the news and see what is happening and what must be done to ensure the safety of everyone from another massacre. We need to see what is going on in this country and voice our opinions. Use the media and contact people involved in politics. Anyone and everyone can be a part of politics, and anyone can voice their opinions in this country. This is something young adults need to care about because it involves us so much, so watch the news and voice your beliefs, for the children who were killed.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy