In the News: Gun Control Hits Home

elizcartmill
Since last December Congress has been fighting hard for or against stricter gun controls. The only bad thing about this is what happened for these controls to finally get debated about. In December of 2012, recently after many other shootings, a shooter went into an elementary school and killed 26 people, 20 of them were children. Why did it take something so terrible to finally get people talking, shouldn’t they have enforced restrictions after the last few shootings. Thinking about all those little children, many of them kindergarteners, being murdered is what finally got people, activists, and Congress talking, but it still goes unnoticed by too many people, especially young adults.
Last December I was at school when the Newtown-Sandy Hook shooting happened. During the last period of the day someone told me over twenty people were killed in a shooting and nobody believed her. Then I turned on the news. I still cannot fathom how someone could kill little children; it broke my heart, but it should’ve broken many other hearts. Tears come to my eyes when I think about all the young children at my church who need stricter gun laws for their safety. This debate of gun safety has grown very important to parents, grandparents, and teachers, but it hasn’t hit home for students just yet. But maybe it will when you watch the news and hear how many times the children were shot, and about the baseball sized holes in them, imagine that being someone you know; maybe now this will hit home to you.
Think of your little brother, or niece, or the children you’ve babysitted, or some child. You don’t want them in danger and you don’t want yourself in danger. As high school and college students we should be more concerned about our safety. Stricter gun laws, such as smaller magazines and a ban on assault rifles can make schools and other public places much safer. I don’t want another Columbine or Newtown shooting to happen before these laws finally gets passed.
Before it’s too late the young adults and teenagers of this country need to turn on the news and see what is happening and what must be done to ensure the safety of everyone from another massacre. We need to see what is going on in this country and voice our opinions. Use the media and contact people involved in politics. Anyone and everyone can be a part of politics, and anyone can voice their opinions in this country. This is something young adults need to care about because it involves us so much, so watch the news and voice your beliefs, for the children who were killed.