In the News: The North Korea Threat

ERICNICHOLAS
In the news, North Korea is one of the few remaining countries that are governed by a totalitarian, communist regime. The country’s economy is in very bad shape and incapable of offering the population anything close to a decent standard of living. This is in contrast to its neighbor, South Korea, a capitalist state with a booming economy and one of the highest standards of living in Asia.
The United States is North Korea’s “mortal enemy” for being a symbol of capitalism and a powerful friend and protector of the right of South Korean’s to leave in an independent country governed by a western-style form of capitalism.
Of course no threat can be ignored, but in my opinion the country is too poor and its economy too weak to put a serious treat, military or of the other nature. They’re simply using these big provocative words against the US as a distraction from their inability to offer their citizens a decent standard of living. It is propaganda war, capitalism against communism and also as a means to raise nationalistic passions in the population to achieve the reunification of the two Koreas under communist regime. US should consider their threat, but also look at their actions, not to take only their words for it.
We are told that China is helping North Korea with economic and humanitarian assistance. Maybe we should negotiate with China to address all our concerns about the military threat posed by the North Korean’s government. It looks like these aggressive statements annoyed even their main ally, China, which voted in favor of the U.N. sanctions this week.
In collaboration with the Chinese, we should use our economic might as a weapon to avoid any potential military conflict with North Korea and yet protect the interest of the South Korean people. If China doesn’t send those vital supplies North Korea would not resist.
Newspaper Articles:
"After Successful Missile Launch, North Korea Threatens New Nuclear Test" by Austin Ramzy TIME Online Jan. 24, 2013. ‹ http://world.time.com/2013/01/24/after-successful-missile-launch-north-korea-threatens-new-nuclear-test/›.
“After threats against U.S., North Korea turns ire to South” by K.J. Kwon and Jethro Mullen, CNN Online Sat January 26, 2013. ‹ http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/25/world/asia/north-korea-threat-south/index.html›.
"China urges patience as North Korea threatens US with third nuclear test" The National Online Jan 25, 2013 Source: Agency France-Press ‹ http://www.thenational.ae/featured-content/channel-page/news/world/middle-article-list/china-urges-patience-as-north-korea-threatens-us-with-third-nuclear-test#ixzz2JIwLGUG3›.

“China calls for talks after North Korean threat” by Barbara Demick Los Angeles Time Online January 24, 2013. ‹http://www.latimes.com/news/world/worldnow/la-fg-wn-china-talks-north-korea-threat-20130124,0,3237480.story›.

“White House denounces North Korea's nuclear threats as 'needlessly provocative' “ by Ju-min Park and Choonsik Yoo SEOUL Source: Reuters The Globe and Mail Online News Thursday, Jan. 24 2013. ‹http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/white-house-denounces-north-koreas-nuclear-threats-as-needlessly-provocative/article7750221/›.

Other Sources:
“Remarks to the Media at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan” by Glyn Davies
Special Representative for North Korea Policy Tokyo, Japan, US Department of State Online January 28, 2013. ‹ http://www.state.gov/p/eap/rls/rm/2013/01/203358.htm›.