STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

In the News: Same-sex Marriage: Neither for or against

Storkydancer33
Same-Sex Marriage has been an ongoing debate for quite some time now. The positions generally stand for or against but my position is neutral. Now I know that since the beginning, of my life at least, people have said over and over that you are not allowed to sit in the gray area and that there, in perspective, is no gray line. I guess I’ve always been sort of a rebel in that way but I have reasons why I can’t support or oppose gay marriage.
First, I need to point out that I do not support the uniting of man and man or woman and woman in a sex life or relationship. You may say that I’ve already picked my side and that me being a member of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints automatically decides my decision, but you must not fall into stereotypical beliefs. I am fully against being gay myself but I don’t mind the thought that other people are involved with their same sex. Now, this contradicts my earlier point but although I don’t mind the thought of this I still will not go out and support it. I just allow the thought to stop bugging me since it is not my belief to judge other people.
Second, I have been involved in ceremonies or rituals where my cousins were “married” to their same sex. I do not state a position in this issue of allowing gay marriage because no matter what we do people will be together anyways. You can’t stop the forces of “love”, when two people care about each other they will not be bound by law or restrictions. They love each other enough that they would do anything to be with each other. So why not let them be married? Why not let them have the things that they can perform in false ceremonies.
Marriage in this world is not the same as the marriage in my religion. People in this world have relationships and even sometimes kids before they get married. To them marriage is just another title. For many people anyways, definitely not all. I don’t say this to bring up feelings of contention, only to bring up my opinion. Gay marriage is a touchy subject for many, but for me I say; “why not? They’re going to do it anyways, whether we like it or not.” I do not and will not support this issue, I will stay away from it as much as I can but I will not rebel against it. People have their own free will so we may as well let them use it as they choose.
Rate this:
Comment by awdavis2014

I don't believe silence is a good course of action on this issue. To be silent is to condone the current laws which essentially tell gay Americans that they aren't equal to straights. Unfortunately, some in America will never let go of their homophobia, but gays and straights should at least be equal in the eyes of the law.
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2013 2:59:39 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy