In the News: Same-sex Marriage: Neither for or against

Storkydancer33
Same-Sex Marriage has been an ongoing debate for quite some time now. The positions generally stand for or against but my position is neutral. Now I know that since the beginning, of my life at least, people have said over and over that you are not allowed to sit in the gray area and that there, in perspective, is no gray line. I guess I’ve always been sort of a rebel in that way but I have reasons why I can’t support or oppose gay marriage.
First, I need to point out that I do not support the uniting of man and man or woman and woman in a sex life or relationship. You may say that I’ve already picked my side and that me being a member of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints automatically decides my decision, but you must not fall into stereotypical beliefs. I am fully against being gay myself but I don’t mind the thought that other people are involved with their same sex. Now, this contradicts my earlier point but although I don’t mind the thought of this I still will not go out and support it. I just allow the thought to stop bugging me since it is not my belief to judge other people.
Second, I have been involved in ceremonies or rituals where my cousins were “married” to their same sex. I do not state a position in this issue of allowing gay marriage because no matter what we do people will be together anyways. You can’t stop the forces of “love”, when two people care about each other they will not be bound by law or restrictions. They love each other enough that they would do anything to be with each other. So why not let them be married? Why not let them have the things that they can perform in false ceremonies.
Marriage in this world is not the same as the marriage in my religion. People in this world have relationships and even sometimes kids before they get married. To them marriage is just another title. For many people anyways, definitely not all. I don’t say this to bring up feelings of contention, only to bring up my opinion. Gay marriage is a touchy subject for many, but for me I say; “why not? They’re going to do it anyways, whether we like it or not.” I do not and will not support this issue, I will stay away from it as much as I can but I will not rebel against it. People have their own free will so we may as well let them use it as they choose.
Comment by awdavis2014

I don't believe silence is a good course of action on this issue. To be silent is to condone the current laws which essentially tell gay Americans that they aren't equal to straights. Unfortunately, some in America will never let go of their homophobia, but gays and straights should at least be equal in the eyes of the law.
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2013 2:59:39 AM