"Shooting Stars" and Scared

MariaRose
A few hours ago, I plopped myself in front of my TV to catch up on Glee before heading to bed.

That was not a good idea.

I’m not a fervent Glee watcher, but I often allow myself this guilty pleasure after a long night, in this case one occupied by studying for a pair of Honors tests tomorrow. I can always rely on the lighthearted comedy to leave me with a song stuck in my head and a brain ready to shut down for the night. Now instead, I’m up far past my bedtime on the night before two major exams because I cannot shake not a melody but a very-near miss.

Tonight’s new episode, handily displaying itself as the newest addition to my DVR drive, was entitled “Shooting Stars”, emphasis on the former. The writers on the Fox series decided to tackle one of the hottest issues of today: school violence. Many shows have tried and failed on this “Very Special Episode” favorite; coming off as preaching and over-reaching and generally awful.

But Glee must have gotten it right, because I can’t sleep.

For those of you who have not seen the episode, I urge discretion. It’s poignant and powerful –the writers and actors have clearly stepped up their game in what is the best work all season. But on the same token, it’s pretty intense. The episode focuses on the kids in the choir room hiding after hearing shots, crowding into the corners with the lights off, taking cover and crying and creating cell phone videos for their families in case the horrifying “What If” in the back of their minds comes true.

I, for the record, was sobbing right along with, not only because I am a sympathetic crier but also because it felt a little bit too real.

My school, to my knowledge, has never had an incidence of violence or a weapon brought to school. I think we’re at a grand total of zero in the entire history of our sixty-year-old building. But with Aurora and Oak Creek and Newtown and what seem to be a hundred other examples in the last year alone hanging over our heads, it feels as though my school or any school may not be safe.

School is my refuge. I may not always fit with kids but I always fit in classrooms; I may not always feel secure in myself, but I do in my school. I do not ever want that to change. And the idea that one particularly destructive or disturbed person could take that away with an object smaller than a textbook scares the crap out of me.

So in conclusion, props to Glee on phenomenal work. I blame my sleeplessness on you. Now I’m headed off to bed, trying to quiz myself on the rule of Napoleon Bonaparte to push out the “What Ifs” transferred from my TV to me.

I don’t think it’s going to work anytime soon.

-Maria Rose, 11:51 PM 4/11/2013