In The News: Will Social Security Always Be There?

k_marie_11
There are hundreds of important news stories out there about current national and international conflicts. People are arguing over legalizing gay marriage, worried about the issues with North Korea, and fighting for Americans to be able to keep their gun rights. A huge topic that I believe a lot of people aren't paying much attention to is the cutbacks that are likely to take place involving Social Security. With everything that’s going on in the world, this story is one that seems to be less talked about and more overlooked by a majority of people.

Teens are probably the ones who need to pay the most attention to this issue. Some may argue that those already collecting money from Social Security or those close to retirement age are going to be affected the most by these cuts. However, I believe, in the long run, teens are going to be the ones most affected by these changes. If the younger generations in America don’t realize the impact the government’s decisions about Social Security will have on us, then we’re going to have some pretty bleak and scary futures.

Teens need to realize that Social Security is not always going to be there. We need to have something else to rely on in the future. Young people need to start now and make their own savings and retirement plans. If we put money away now, it will earn a little interest. As we keep adding to this savings over the years, by the time we reach the age of retirement, should Social Security not be there, this savings should be able to get us through. Those of us who would love to live a higher lifestyle and buy a car or go on trips when we retire need to pay special attention to this issue. Those who wish to be able to afford these things need to start now and save even more money for the hazy future.