In The News: Gay Marriage

K.E. Nave
Gay rights have been in the national spotlight since the movement first began in the 1970s. It’s been more than 40 years, 8 states allowing gay marriage, the passage of California’s Prop 8, and the fight of marriage equality has finally reached the Supreme Court as they debate the legality of DOMA.

The subject is very emotional and inflammatory for most people, whether they are for or against it. I think the best way to consider it, though, is how (hopefully) the Supreme Court will: logically.

The main argument against gay marriage is that it is against some religions and their belief of how marriage should be. I’d like to point out that marriage is a legally--not spiritually--binding contract that began before Judaism or Christianity. No religion can legitimately claim marriage as their own.

People arguing against gay marriage fall back on religious objections because, honestly, there isn’t any real legal concerns. Does it really matter if the two consenting, legal adults who happen to be the same sex decide to marry?

The law has no right to stop this from happening (remember, there is a little clause called Separation of Church and State). The right to marry someone you love is a basic human right. Remember, not that long ago, when people weren’t allowed to marry outside of their own race? The Constitution is meant to protect the rights of individual that are citizens of the United States of America. Why should LGBT citizens be refused their pursuit of happiness?

Forget the logical, and here’s my emotional plea: I’m bisexual. If I fall in love with a man, I can marry him; but if I fall in love with a woman, I cannot marry her. This is so cruel and unequal. Sexuality shouldn’t define whether or not you are allowed human rights and basic equality.
Comment by Dylan_Burnell

I wish most people would adopt this view of gay rights. I am not gay myself but I think that half of the worlds problems stem from the fact that we can not keep our noses out of other peoples business. Who cares if a guy wants get with another guy, or a girl with another girl. Another argument is that these couples would not make good parents becuase they are only 1 gender. Lets look at the countless single moms and dads out there. Are you going to say that they suck and that they cant raise thier kid properly? It is bull that people are actualy fighting over this at all.
Comment by Girlboxer1970

Great post!
Posted: Thursday, May 9, 2013 10:10:02 PM
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! You’ve been selected a runner up for the April writing contest: "In the News"

Check out the full report here: http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandNews.aspx

Don’t forget to share your story and show your accomplishment on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media!

Thanks for submitting, and we look forward to your future submissions.
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:10:16 PM