STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

In The News: Gay Marriage

K.E. Nave
Gay rights have been in the national spotlight since the movement first began in the 1970s. It’s been more than 40 years, 8 states allowing gay marriage, the passage of California’s Prop 8, and the fight of marriage equality has finally reached the Supreme Court as they debate the legality of DOMA.

The subject is very emotional and inflammatory for most people, whether they are for or against it. I think the best way to consider it, though, is how (hopefully) the Supreme Court will: logically.

The main argument against gay marriage is that it is against some religions and their belief of how marriage should be. I’d like to point out that marriage is a legally--not spiritually--binding contract that began before Judaism or Christianity. No religion can legitimately claim marriage as their own.

People arguing against gay marriage fall back on religious objections because, honestly, there isn’t any real legal concerns. Does it really matter if the two consenting, legal adults who happen to be the same sex decide to marry?

The law has no right to stop this from happening (remember, there is a little clause called Separation of Church and State). The right to marry someone you love is a basic human right. Remember, not that long ago, when people weren’t allowed to marry outside of their own race? The Constitution is meant to protect the rights of individual that are citizens of the United States of America. Why should LGBT citizens be refused their pursuit of happiness?

Forget the logical, and here’s my emotional plea: I’m bisexual. If I fall in love with a man, I can marry him; but if I fall in love with a woman, I cannot marry her. This is so cruel and unequal. Sexuality shouldn’t define whether or not you are allowed human rights and basic equality.
Rate this:
Comment by Dylan_Burnell

I wish most people would adopt this view of gay rights. I am not gay myself but I think that half of the worlds problems stem from the fact that we can not keep our noses out of other peoples business. Who cares if a guy wants get with another guy, or a girl with another girl. Another argument is that these couples would not make good parents becuase they are only 1 gender. Lets look at the countless single moms and dads out there. Are you going to say that they suck and that they cant raise thier kid properly? It is bull that people are actualy fighting over this at all.
Posted: Tuesday, April 9, 2013 12:58:22 PM
Rate this:
Comment by Girlboxer1970

Great post!
Posted: Thursday, May 9, 2013 10:10:02 PM
Rate this:
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! You’ve been selected a runner up for the April writing contest: "In the News"

Check out the full report here: http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandNews.aspx

Don’t forget to share your story and show your accomplishment on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media!

Thanks for submitting, and we look forward to your future submissions.
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:10:16 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy