In the News: How The Topic of Gay Marriage Conflicts With My Life

mellearn1
Mary Ellen Learned

In The News: The Supreme Court Debates the Issue of Gay Marriage

Professing to be a Christian, I have a very strong opinion about the topic of gay marriage. It is not that I dislike gay people or show hatred toward them as a group, but I strongly disagree with their ways of life.
First, gay marriage is strictly condemned in the Bible. Even since creation, God has always made a woman for a man and a man for a woman; this bond is not meant to be used in any other way other than how God created it to be. I know that since I am a Christian and not everyone is, this argument can be quickly shut down by most people in America. So I would like to propose another argument against the issue of gay marriage. I get tired of hearing that being gay is like being black; that people categorize gays in to a certain group like they were born with this kind of relationship. Being gay or not is a choice. It’s not like your skin color- something a person of color or not has no control over. The choice to live a certain lifestyle is just like any other man and woman that choose to marry. So, I do not think that it is fair for gay people to say that they have certain rights just like black people do because the issue of skin color and the issue of a way of life are two completely different topics.
Another point I would like to raise is a point in favor of people choosing to be gay. If the law chooses to not give certain privileges to gay people, I believe that that decision is unconstitutional and unbiblical. Whether people accept being gay as a way of life or not, these people are still people that deserve the same rights as anyone else. Anything other than this would be considered discrimination in my mind. I do not approve of the decision to be gay, but gays are still a part of society that add to the diversity of our culture. They do not deserve to be treated unfairly as far as the legal system goes, and they are eligible for the same rights as any other American citizen.
I choose to stand against gay marriage because it goes against my religion. I do not approve of a society that lives in sin, but at the same time, I choose to live by the Declaration of Independence that says “All men are created equal.”
Comment by otaku094

I have a family member who is homosexual and most of my family is strictly religuous but they don't treat her like any other would toward their orientation. I see stuff like this is sick that people of a dumb religion would say they can't be loved or be happy. religion is the reason why we have racial hatred in this would only people who see we all are one being just trying to live in a harsh world would welcome them with open hearts. This discrimination I hate but their is no way to expel it from our world so we all must accept and support each other.
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2013 3:21:22 PM