STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My favorite TV show: The Fresh (and lovable) Prince of Bel-Air

matbkim
Now this is a story of all about how… countless victims of nostalgia will finish this phrase word for word with the same rhythmic feel as the Fresh Prince did decades ago. That’s right. Will Smith has mastered the art of mob psychology. (And those that don’t bend to his will simply have their memories wiped by the MIB, but that’s a story for another time.) Being the teenager that I am, I began watching the show long after the series had ended, but even then, I knew that this had to have been Smith’s big break as an actor. As he displayed his unique antics, his playboy personality, and his age-appropriate humor on-screen, I could see how he was able to win over so many audience members across so many age groups. It was simply impossible to hate the guy.
But why was it impossible? The Fresh Prince was a sitcom, not a drama with a grand overarching storyline, and as a result, the show was in reality, repetitive. Most of the episodes followed the same general format where one of the characters would do something unintelligent and then later face the consequences. Along the way, Will might try to woo an attractive girl, Geoffrey the butler might complain about how his wages didn’t reflect his workload, and cousin Carlton would do the Carlton Dance. And while all of these things were staples of the series, they were still admittedly, predictable. So if this was the case, why am I still eager enough to rate this show so highly? The answer is the same: because it is predictable.
What draws me and countless others back to the TV for the reruns, what sets Will’s show apart from the rest isn’t the inclusion of a zombie apocalypse or the nail-biting accounts of a drug dealer; it’s the notion that Will and the Banks family is as lovable and as hostile as our own. I may not look like Will, and I may not talk like Will, but I, as a human being, will always share the same experiences as Will. Like him, when I go to college, I will find myself in a world far different and far away from home. Like him, as I live my life attempting to find my significant other, I will have to mend my own broken heart. And like him, as I try to be the best that I can be, I will be tempted to take shortcuts to the top. The key to making it through all of these obstacles, the secret that Will has unknowingly passed on, is that sometimes, the best thing to do is to laugh about it. He may have developed into a hero by taking both figurative and literal bullets for his family members, but the one characteristic that endears him the most is his ability to laugh. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the only reason why I watch it: to laugh.
Rate this:
Comment by Thisguy13

i agree alot with this passage. There are many thigns about people who watch shows like this. I liked this show because of how funny will smith was in it and how he acts. He always takes the best of things and tryes to make it fun and exicting.
Posted: Friday, March 1, 2013 7:22:20 PM
Rate this:
Comment by Ehmisshii Sampson

I like this passage. Because he's talking about The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air, which is an really old show in the 90's. Will Smith is really funny in the show along with the other actors and actress as well. The show tells about how he moved in with his uncle and auntie from the rich parts. And he meets his cousins for the first time and they treat him different at first. Then he gets used to them, most of the times he's always getting into trouble and he brings carlton with him. I really like this show no matter what.
Posted: Friday, March 1, 2013 7:30:30 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy