My favorite TV show: The Fresh (and lovable) Prince of Bel-Air

matbkim
Now this is a story of all about how… countless victims of nostalgia will finish this phrase word for word with the same rhythmic feel as the Fresh Prince did decades ago. That’s right. Will Smith has mastered the art of mob psychology. (And those that don’t bend to his will simply have their memories wiped by the MIB, but that’s a story for another time.) Being the teenager that I am, I began watching the show long after the series had ended, but even then, I knew that this had to have been Smith’s big break as an actor. As he displayed his unique antics, his playboy personality, and his age-appropriate humor on-screen, I could see how he was able to win over so many audience members across so many age groups. It was simply impossible to hate the guy.
But why was it impossible? The Fresh Prince was a sitcom, not a drama with a grand overarching storyline, and as a result, the show was in reality, repetitive. Most of the episodes followed the same general format where one of the characters would do something unintelligent and then later face the consequences. Along the way, Will might try to woo an attractive girl, Geoffrey the butler might complain about how his wages didn’t reflect his workload, and cousin Carlton would do the Carlton Dance. And while all of these things were staples of the series, they were still admittedly, predictable. So if this was the case, why am I still eager enough to rate this show so highly? The answer is the same: because it is predictable.
What draws me and countless others back to the TV for the reruns, what sets Will’s show apart from the rest isn’t the inclusion of a zombie apocalypse or the nail-biting accounts of a drug dealer; it’s the notion that Will and the Banks family is as lovable and as hostile as our own. I may not look like Will, and I may not talk like Will, but I, as a human being, will always share the same experiences as Will. Like him, when I go to college, I will find myself in a world far different and far away from home. Like him, as I live my life attempting to find my significant other, I will have to mend my own broken heart. And like him, as I try to be the best that I can be, I will be tempted to take shortcuts to the top. The key to making it through all of these obstacles, the secret that Will has unknowingly passed on, is that sometimes, the best thing to do is to laugh about it. He may have developed into a hero by taking both figurative and literal bullets for his family members, but the one characteristic that endears him the most is his ability to laugh. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the only reason why I watch it: to laugh.
Comment by Thisguy13

i agree alot with this passage. There are many thigns about people who watch shows like this. I liked this show because of how funny will smith was in it and how he acts. He always takes the best of things and tryes to make it fun and exicting.
Posted: Friday, March 1, 2013 7:22:20 PM
Comment by Ehmisshii Sampson

I like this passage. Because he's talking about The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air, which is an really old show in the 90's. Will Smith is really funny in the show along with the other actors and actress as well. The show tells about how he moved in with his uncle and auntie from the rich parts. And he meets his cousins for the first time and they treat him different at first. Then he gets used to them, most of the times he's always getting into trouble and he brings carlton with him. I really like this show no matter what.
Posted: Friday, March 1, 2013 7:30:30 PM