My favorite TV show: Motorcity and the World Beneath the Exterior

Wonderwelle
Presumably, Motorcity isn’t a show you’re familiar with.

Don’t worry, I wasn’t either at one point. And I thought it’d stay like that, too.

My instinctual response was to avoid it like the plague the day my artsiest friend, Grace, came bounding up to me ranting enthusiastically about some new no-name cartoon she’d found about cars and dystopias with amazing animation and stellar graphics and a lot of other things I chose to tune out at the time. And what channel was this cartoon on? Disney XD. No thanks, I wouldn’t be watching a show for young boys. I took my usual tactic whenever Grace went on artsy tangents and brushed it off.

Then came the month I got banned from the computer, and that month, I had been flipping through channels when I found Motorcity showing and decided to finally give it that chance I’d disregarded. I was just that bored.

It was everything I’d always felt wariness towards. In a dystopian future, dictator Abraham Kane has seized Detroit, MI, and has rebuilt on top of it a “utopian” society that consists of him restricting all personal freedom, although many of his residents remain unaware of this. Those who do realize it escape him in the now-underground city of Detroit, now called Motorcity. Consequently, Kane loathes Motorcity with a passion and finds joy in his endeavors to reduce it to desolation. Motorcity’s only hopes are the Burners, a troupe of daring teenagers that protect their city with sleek cars equipped with futuristic weaponry. The art style is geometrical and odd and the high-speed chases and adrenaline-pumping fights are accentuated with metal rock blaring in the background.

Needless to say, I fell in love.

I’m still not sure what so enraptured me that first moment I laid eyes upon it. Maybe it was the charisma of the heroic protagonist, Mike Chilton, or the novelty of the plot itself, or the unique art style and animation that made 2D cartoons appear as if they were moving three-dimensionally. Either way, Grace had been right – Motorcity was spectacular. There was an unrestrained freedom about that show, the ability to return to being a child and be enthralled by the idea of being able to protect a city with the help of your best friends. I hadn’t loved a TV show this much in a long, long time.

Each suspense-inducing, heart-racing episode presented an underlying moral amidst its humor and action. I was reminded of all the things I’d stashed away: fight against what was wrong, even if it was overpowering, and be brave and courageous in the face of fear. But ultimately, the biggest lesson came from my love for the show: never make assumptions.

Now, I wear my Burner t-shirt and use my Motorcity-themed chapstick as I rotate through each episode continually. I do this until I can memorize the lines and sequence of each episode of a show I swore I’d never set eyes on.
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! You’ve been selected a semi-finalist for the February writing contest: "Why Can't I Stop Watching My Favorite TV Show?"

Don’t forget to share your story and show your accomplishment on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media!

Thanks for submitting and we look forward to your future submissions.
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2013 5:04:28 PM