My Favorite TV Show: Ned's Declassified teaches me that we can learn from even the funniest moments

MidnightSunset
There hasn’t been a time when I would question myself and think aren’t I too old for this? But sitting on my old leather couch and hearing the theme song playing tells me I’m a goner.
Our society has 92% of families with a VCR or DVD player, and more than 50% of families with three or more TV’s in their homes, so it’s hard not to find a show to love.
Ned’s Declassified School Survival Guide was the show that has been with me for everything. I realized that it wasn’t only for middle school, but for high school, and not only school, but for life in general.
The show started when I was 5 years old, still wearing colorful clips in my hair, and smiling a toothless smile. I didn’t understand half the things going on. I thought it was a cool show about “big boys and big girls” at school. My siblings laughed at jokes I didn’t understand on the couch, and I sat there puzzled as they said words like “crushes” and “detention.”
Later I realized how its correlation to me. At nine years old, clips out and no gaps in my teeth, I was transfixed on the show.
By 11 years old, experiencing the awkwardness of puberty, pains of rejection, the “nobody- understands- how- I- feel- mode” made me tune into the witty words of Ned as he struggled with the challenges of making new friends, clubs, and “evil” teachers, all wrapped up to portray some of the most confusing and memorable years of life: Middle School. The life lessons of friendship, having good times, and perseverance laced through every episode I was addicted to.
While a lot of the situations were unrealistic, like a random intellectual rodent in a battle of brains with a janitor, or digging tunnels in the school to get out of class, or even the boy who manages to fit everything in his backpack, Ned’s Declassified showed me a lot of things.
Disorganization, new friends, procrastination, fundraising, even bad hair days were familiar to me as I went through school. Seeing a way to get past it and come out victorious while having fun doing it all wrapped up in a TV show was amazing. Proudly, at 14, I can watch the theme song, sing along, and shout, “Seen it!” as episode clips flashed across the screen.
Though I doubted my friends watched I knew that this show was good, popular or not. Now, at 12, everyone had put SpongeBob and Icarly aside, driven on watching MTV and The Jersey Shore, Pretty Little Liars and Degrassi. It seemed watching any kid shows was foreign, like we had never cuddled on the couch, laughing at Spongebob and Patrick or witnessed the randomness that three kids could put into a web show. We all still reminisce, but I know no matter how old, I can always sit on the sofa and watch as careless kids like me complete life’s obstacles and journeys.
Comment by AutumnW13

this show does teach you things about school, relationships, parties, embarrassing moments, and life in general. I find it funny that there are others who also like this show as much as me. to this day i lay around in the living room on a Saturday morning watching this TV show instead of doing other things. this show is not only interesting but too addicting.
Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide is one of the best TV show and i am amazed that i can actually watch the re-runs and not get bored. i think the part i like the most about the show is when the show the theme of the episode, i always try my best to guess what it is. =P
Posted: Friday, March 1, 2013 5:06:24 PM
Comment by chances123

I agree with you about how in peoples houeses theres always plenty of tvs to watch something atleast an theres always a show you love more then others.. When I was little this show was good for the moment, but I maybe did learn a couple of things from it. But as in today I dont remember anything..
Posted: Friday, March 1, 2013 7:19:27 PM
Comment by Smiley

Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide is a wonderful show; it teaches kids about middle school and how to survive in school. I've always liked this show because it taught me a lot about school. I can watch this show all day, and never get tired of it. I've learned a couple of things from this awesome show.
Posted: Monday, March 4, 2013 4:06:13 PM
Comment by ellie95

I love Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide! It's always been one of my favorite shows to watch! I agree that it does teach you lots of lessons on different school situations and how to get through them and it's just a really funny show.
Posted: Monday, March 4, 2013 4:09:58 PM
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! You’ve been selected a semi-finalist for the February writing contest: "Why Can't I Stop Watching My Favorite TV Show?"

Don’t forget to share your story and show your accomplishment on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media!

Thanks for submitting and we look forward to your future submissions.
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2013 5:09:31 PM