My Favorite TV Show: Why 30 Rock is the Greatest TV Show Ever

thankyoumrsloopner
"Ain't no party like a Liz Lemon party 'cause a Liz Lemon party is mandatory."

This is one of the many things said by my hero, Liz Lemon. Lemon, the protagonist of Tina Fey's brilliant comedy 30 Rock, is my favorite character of anything. Out of all of the great fiction characters, Liz Lemon is the most inspirational, inspiring, and funniest of them all.

30 Rock is a show that, despite it's high critical praise and its ten Emmy awards, it never had a huge audience. If you didn't watch it, I forgive you, but please do yourself the favor of Netflix-ing it. Tina Fey is a genius, both at acting and writing. As Chicago Tribute wrote, "Lucille Ball, Mary Tyler Moore and Roseanne Barr may have blazed the trail [for women in comedy], Fey made it to the mountaintop where she can rightly claim to be the most important woman in TV comedy history." And she deserves this.

30 Rock truly is a beautiful show. The way they make fun of the format, of their network, of the world, of themselves, they have perfected the American sitcom. They defied all of the rules. Who says your characters can't burst out into a Gladys Knight song? They did. Who says you can't have a main character dress as Princess Leia to get out of jury duty? They did. Who says you can't have a main character who never ages for no reason? They did, and they did it perfectly.

30 Rock pushed all boundaries. Liz Lemon is the perfect hero for any young person. The relationship between her and Jack Donaghy was the best between two people of different genders from any show. The way that they established that they didn't have a "will-they-or-won't-they" vibe was perfect, and the fact that they didn't end up together is one of the best things about the show.

30 Rock has changed my life. It has inspired me to try to become the next Tina Fey, or at least the next Liz Lemon. My philosophies are all from this show, from "All of humankind has one thing in common: the sandwich." to "Live every week like Shark Week." I have never cried harder than I did during the finale. So, in conclusion, if you haven't watched 30 Rock yet, trust me. You want to go to there.
Comment by michness

Gosh, I LOVED 30 Rock. I know Liz ended up happy in the end, but I always wanted her to get back with Floyd. Great essay!
Posted: Friday, March 1, 2013 8:45:49 AM
Comment by Girlboxer1970

Nice essay! I like 30 Rock too!
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:51:26 PM
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! You’ve been selected a semi-finalist for the February writing contest: "Why Can't I Stop Watching My Favorite TV Show?"

Don’t forget to share your story and show your accomplishment on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media!

Thanks for submitting and we look forward to your future submissions.
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2013 4:55:02 PM