STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Favorite TV Show: Why 30 Rock is the Greatest TV Show Ever

thankyoumrsloopner
"Ain't no party like a Liz Lemon party 'cause a Liz Lemon party is mandatory."

This is one of the many things said by my hero, Liz Lemon. Lemon, the protagonist of Tina Fey's brilliant comedy 30 Rock, is my favorite character of anything. Out of all of the great fiction characters, Liz Lemon is the most inspirational, inspiring, and funniest of them all.

30 Rock is a show that, despite it's high critical praise and its ten Emmy awards, it never had a huge audience. If you didn't watch it, I forgive you, but please do yourself the favor of Netflix-ing it. Tina Fey is a genius, both at acting and writing. As Chicago Tribute wrote, "Lucille Ball, Mary Tyler Moore and Roseanne Barr may have blazed the trail [for women in comedy], Fey made it to the mountaintop where she can rightly claim to be the most important woman in TV comedy history." And she deserves this.

30 Rock truly is a beautiful show. The way they make fun of the format, of their network, of the world, of themselves, they have perfected the American sitcom. They defied all of the rules. Who says your characters can't burst out into a Gladys Knight song? They did. Who says you can't have a main character dress as Princess Leia to get out of jury duty? They did. Who says you can't have a main character who never ages for no reason? They did, and they did it perfectly.

30 Rock pushed all boundaries. Liz Lemon is the perfect hero for any young person. The relationship between her and Jack Donaghy was the best between two people of different genders from any show. The way that they established that they didn't have a "will-they-or-won't-they" vibe was perfect, and the fact that they didn't end up together is one of the best things about the show.

30 Rock has changed my life. It has inspired me to try to become the next Tina Fey, or at least the next Liz Lemon. My philosophies are all from this show, from "All of humankind has one thing in common: the sandwich." to "Live every week like Shark Week." I have never cried harder than I did during the finale. So, in conclusion, if you haven't watched 30 Rock yet, trust me. You want to go to there.
Rate this:
Comment by michness

Gosh, I LOVED 30 Rock. I know Liz ended up happy in the end, but I always wanted her to get back with Floyd. Great essay!
Posted: Friday, March 1, 2013 8:45:49 AM
Rate this:
Comment by Girlboxer1970

Nice essay! I like 30 Rock too!
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:51:26 PM
Rate this:
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! You’ve been selected a semi-finalist for the February writing contest: "Why Can't I Stop Watching My Favorite TV Show?"

Don’t forget to share your story and show your accomplishment on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media!

Thanks for submitting and we look forward to your future submissions.
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2013 4:55:02 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy