My Favorite TV Show: Psych

hcarver.95
It’s HERE! Finally, after all those months of waiting and biting my nails, wondering what will happen to my favorite eclectic collection of characters on my favorite show on TV, Psych, the new season is finally coming on – tonight, as a matter of fact. But what makes it so addicting? Why can’t I stop following the comic adventures of faux-psychic Shawn Spencer and his neurotic best friend Gus? I believe it’s because of the light-hearted satire in every episode; every week, Psych facetiously pokes fun at different subjects through the use of charismatic and witty characters – not to mention copious references to the pop culture of the 80’s and 90’s. Psych takes a step back from the traditional crime show formula and makes me laugh out loud with each and every episode. The relationships between characters is also compelling – Shawn and Gus, best friends since childhood, squabble like an old married couple, while Lassiter, the epitome of traditional, stern police work, is the perfect character foil to goofy, over the top fake-psychic Shawn. These reasons, however, are sort of shallow, now that I think about it. Now that I really consider it, there are plenty of shows with great characters that make me laugh, but I don’t love them with the same sort of passion that I love Psych. I think one of the deeper reasons I can’t turn away from this show, no matter how hard I try, is that everybody on the show makes such an honest effort to connect to the fans. With Psych, I really feel like I’m watching friends act out the scenes, not just fake actors who only do it for money and fame. The Psych fan base – AKA Psych-Os – is a great community as well.
Overall, however, I think the real reason that I keep coming back to Psych (like I’m a paperclip and the show is a magnet) is that in every episode, there’s a happy ending. Shawn and Gus find the real criminal, the crime is solved, justice is served, and it ends with a joke to send everyone laughing. It’s almost like seeing what the world should be – a place where the bad guy gets put away, the good guys get a pat on the back, and everyone gets a laugh. If only that were the reality!
Comment by literarylife

I love your description of psych! Psych is one of my personal favorite t.v. shows and I always come back to it. I often will go weeks without haveing watched an episode and then all of a sudden I start watching again and can not stop. You reasons for coming back reflect my own. In a world of unhappiness and craziness one can only hope for a happy ending and a good joke.
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 7:11:44 PM
Comment by hoythunter

I love this show! Me and my best friend always are either watching this show or something outdoorsy. We are always rewatching episodes just to pass time for the next new episode to come out. when it comes out you will find us on his couch watching psych. this has got to be the best show ever!
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:15:50 PM
Comment by Billy24

This is a good show, it explains a lot about friend ship and how to deal with other people that you don't like or don't agree with. Shawn and Gus go out of their comfort zone to solve crime and to make lassy jealous. I like this show because it makes you happy when you are in a bad mood or a sad mood or whatever mood you are in.
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 6:47:03 PM
Comment by philip27

I love this show! It is so funny how Shawn is the biggest phonny out there. My favorite episode is when he lies to the lie detected and passes. It just shows how confident he is and how he be leaves his own lies.
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 7:07:56 PM
Comment by nick halden

i love this show it shows two best friends like me and my best friend. my best friend and i are like Shawn and Gus in allot of the things that we do. from the craziness of our day to the fighting and the constant pursuit of fun. although neither of us is psychic we have allot of fun together
Posted: Friday, March 1, 2013 7:16:11 PM