My Favorite TV Show: I'm a Sucker For The Vampire Diaries

new.sage
Magic and mayhem, attractive male figures, and cheesy love stories—combined together, which average teenage girl wouldn’t be drawn to The Vampire Diaries? The concentrated drama combined with supernatural forces makes this show intense, powerful, and occasionally lachrymose. As an average suburban prep school girl, school days for me tend to become tedious. The same routine repeats itself almost every day, with nothing really remarkable happening at all, which was why I was instantly drawn to The Vampire Diaries like a moth to a flame. Hardcore drama is constantly unfolding in the little town of Mystic Falls, keeping my sister and I at the edge of our seats every Thursday night. The story follows protagonist Elena Gilbert, who finds out that she is not just an ordinary girl. As vampires come back to town, ancient dangers are awakened, and Elena and her friends must find ways to protect themselves.
When I first began watching the show, I found myself relating to not Elena but her friend, Caroline. Elena is loved and adored by many. In the beginning of the show, Caroline was always the second choice and constantly got her heart torn between feeling happy for her friend and feeling worthless. She ends up abused by Elena's lover, Damon, and is turned into a vampire before she knows what is going on. Like me, Caroline lives the "perfect" life, but still feels lonely and despises herself for feeling this way when she has so much. I was intrigued and wondered how she would handle things, hoping to get a pointer as to how to go about my own life. Imagine how amazed I was when I saw how strong her character became! Instead of wallowing in a hole of self-pity, she fought for her friends and family. Watching her handle every situation with fieriness and optimism, I was inspired to look at life with the glass half full as well. My favorite quote from her was when Klaus, the villain, tried to flirt with her. He had asked her to join him for a drink, and she said:
"I'd rather die of thirst, but thanks!"
Another reason why The Vampire Diaries is such a big deal for me is because it is one of the only television shows my sister and I watch together. After every episode, we spend hours sitting on the couch, contemplating what would happen in the next installment. We would come up with crazy theories on the next homicidal attempt Klaus might try to make, then cyber-stalk the cast’s Twitters together to pick up on any possible hints for the next week. Doing so is a fantastic way of bonding between my sister and I.
The heart wrenching plots, almost ridiculous drama, and jerking cliffhangers attract me to The Vampire Diaries. My favorite character, Caroline, is what keeps me rushing to my couch every week for more. While writing this, I’m also eagerly waiting for the next episode to air!