My favorite TV show: Sherlock proves that smart is the new sexy

kat.talerico
Let’s be honest with ourselves, the British do it better. For music, they’ve got the Beatles. For caffeine, they’ve got tea. For books, they’ve got Harry Potter. As for television, they’ve got Sherlock.
Sherlock, the BBC mystery drama, takes a modern approach to the classic tales of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Despite transposing the stories of Sherlock Holmes to the twenty first century, BBC’s adaptation loses none of the thrill and mystery which has drawn a variety of audiences over the decades.
Doyle’s stories have been produced many times, but not even Robert Downey Jr. can match the wit and sheer intellect that Benedict Cumberbatch embodies. A glimpse into Sherlock’s mind exposes his thought process as he analyzes his subjects and their surroundings, telling the story of a person’s life within a few miniscule details gone unnoticed by others.
Forty minutes is simply not enough time to tell a single tale of Sherlock Holmes. BBC’s ninety minute program allows enough time to incorporate enough detail to create the mystery that is so essential to the series. While the stories may be familiar to many, and the endings already known, Sherlock expertly crafts an anticipation that is enough to gather sweat on the palms of any viewer.
As an American, it can be difficult getting a hold of episodes of Sherlock. While television is now so instant, it may seem work to order each season on DVD off of Amazon, waiting weeks before it arrives in the mail. That’s all part of the process of watching Sherlock, though.
That day the package shows up on your doorstep, you run inside and tear it open, quickly planning ahead to find time in your schedule when you can sit down to watch a marathon. It’s essential to contact friends, find out who’s bringing what food, whose house we’ll be gathering at. The day comes and you gather round the TV, insert the DVD, singing along with your friends to the lyric-less theme song that’s still so catchy anyways. You pause the show at frequent intervals to discuss conspiracy theories, and are resolute in shock when not one of you is right. Someone’s crunching on popcorn too loudly, and you have to rewind the DVD (what if what was just said had been a possible clue?) By the end, we’re all dumbfounded, trying to process what happened, and only left wanting more. And sometimes, it’s just necessary to rewatch the episode again and again and again, though no one really minds.
Sherlock’s limitless wit and sagacity have quickly lured me in, proving that “smart” really is the new “sexy.”
Comment by Julie

Yeah, all my favorite 21st century artist are British. And their classic books are amazing. Except War and Peace witch which was Russian and my all time favorite. I like Sherlock too!
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 12:45:35 AM
Comment by Storkydancer33

I love this show! They really keep you hooked the whole time, every time! Plus, the fact that they have British accents and British mannerisms makes it so much more enjoyable to me. Kat.talerico, you did really well in expression your opinion in this article and your forms of writing are really well-organized! Thanks for your input! :)
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:18:52 PM