STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Thoughts on Newtown: More Violence Isn't the Answer

Inspired
Two years ago, my mother and two of my younger sisters came home trembling. In vivid detail, my shaken siblings described what had occurred mere minutes before. My five-year-old sister said excitedly, obviously not understanding the seriousness of the situation, "a man in a silver car pointed a gun at Mommy!" My seven-year-old sister chimed in more earnestly, "he said that she made him late for work, so he was going to shoot her."

My mother was stricken. She could not forget the look of the man who had stared at her, crazed with fury, his finger on the trigger of the gun in his hand - a gun pointed directly at her. She confides in me, to this day, that she remembers feeling a sort of detached dread; in that moment, all that mattered was protecting her children.

Nothing happened that day. They came home safe, albeit agitated and upset. My family could have been another news story, another headline that people shake their heads to, murmuring detached sympathies.

Let me state for the record that I am not pacifistic. Although I am not against gun ownership, I am absolutely against the misuse of guns, which appears to be a serious problem in today’s society.

The massacre in Newtown will not be forgotten. Gun control campaigns have shot up, reminding the United States that the death of these children will remain forever ingrained in the minds of citizens. All of these platforms want to answer one question: how can we prevent more tragic deaths from occurring?

In my opinion, allowing people to carry concealed weapons can be disastrous. Often, crimes like the one that happened to my mother are not premeditated but rather crimes of passion, which are fueled by the fact that the perpetrator has a gun at hand. An annual mental health examination for those who carry concealed weapons would be beneficial to public safety.

Another thing I am concerned about is the government’s inability to track the flow of illegal firearms. It is absurd to me that lobbying groups, such as the NRA, have hamstrung the federal government's attempts to create a database to track the ownership of firearms.

Gun control is one of the most burning issues of our time. The ads the NRA is sending out that attack and criticize the president and his followers are just adding fuel to the flame. I have walked into many rooms where adults cannot stop arguing over appropriate firearm policies. Thousands of comments on social media and public forums contain angry opinions on each tragedy that has struck and prescriptions as to what can be done to prevent the next.

Now is as good a time as any to create a structural, social, or governmental change. Yet does it have to be introduced as squabbles of children? Do social graces and proprieties need to be dropped in order to state one’s opinion?

Dylan Klebold, Eric Harris, James Holmes, Adam Lanza, and Seung-Hui Cho were all murderers, killers, monsters.

We don’t need to be monsters because these killers were.
Rate this:
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey!

My name is Laura and I'm an intern at Stage of Life. I wanted to thank you for submitting your personal story to our "Where Do We Go After Newtown" writing contest, but more importunately, I want to congratulate you on being selected by our Editors as an essay finalist!

Watch this page http://www.stageoflife.com/gundebate.aspx for when we announce the winner.

Feel free to share this on Facebook, Twitter, your blog, or any other site you use. Share your accomplishment with the world!

Thanks for sharing your story on StageofLife.com.

Laura
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 5:57:04 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy