My Passion Issue: Grateful for Homework?: The Issue of Education in the 2012 Presidential Election

telltheworld
“Dinner’s ready!” my mom called the whole family downstairs. On the table were ceramic bowls half-filled with rice, same as always. Pans of caramelized green beans and sautéed pork chops sat on the table. As we ate and chatted, our discussion turned to school, as it often did.

“I wish I hadn’t taken so many AP courses,” I grumbled. The pressures of junior year were getting to me. “I just want to go to bed before twelve on some nights, you know?” Exasperated, I plunked my fork in my bowl and leaned my head against my hand.

Mom smiled gently and laid down her chopsticks. “I know it is hard. But why not learn as much as you can?”

“It’s definitely a ton of work.”

“You know, school is precious. Have you ever wondered why all your aunts and uncles are still in China?” my father joined in, “In high school, Uncle Kan decided he didn’t like math, so he didn’t study it. He wasted his chance to learn. Auntie Da-Yi works on a farm because of the Cultural Revolution. She never even got a chance. I bet they wish they were able to learn more.”

“Oh.”

Now I appreciate the opportunities I have in school. What if I never experienced an enriching school life? I would be a completely different person.

In the upcoming presidential election, education should not be a Democratic or Republican issue, but rather an American issue. Our president should be someone who betters the United States for present and future generations. Education is by far the most effective means of helping the 80 million students– our country’s future–better the world.

In the midst of the economic recession, President Obama fought to save the jobs of over 400,000 teachers. Unlike President Obama, Republican candidate Mitt Romney plans to cut 20 percent of teaching jobs and school activities across the country. Romney’s plans cause immediate unemployment and cost students crucial school opportunities. The impact of school extends much further than increased factual knowledge. Education allows teens and college students to form life skills, develop talent, and discover passions. I discovered my passion for writing in an after-school workshop. Had that workshop not existed, I would not be able to help my immigrant-parents vastly improve their English, have the chance to write to students in Ghana, or speak out for my beliefs in writing contests. I have found a voice, and it all began from a school workshop.

Overall, variety and depth of classes and after-school programs is necessary for America to continue to have well-rounded individuals. I take comfort knowing that one day I will be able to vote and act on my beliefs. As a high school student grateful for the education I have had, I believe President Barack Obama is best suited to better the lives of teens and college students.
Comment by OrangeZo

This essay is very well put together. I agree that education is one of the most important issue our faces and should be treated as such by the candidates. We should be focused on educating and training students to be able to take on the responsibility of running a developed country in the near future. Which makes it increasingly concerning when teachers jobs and after school program funding are cut, as you mentioned in your essay. Also, hang in there with the AP classes, I know how that goes.

Zoe
STAGE OF LIFE H.S. Editor
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2012 8:51:23 PM
Comment by bugcandy

Congratulations - your essay above has selected as one of the semi-finalists for our political "Passion Issue" student writing contest. We'll be picking the winner within the next two weeks (our final judging phase is taking place on the finalists now by our Editorial team).

Please check the summary page as we'll be announcing the Runners-Up and Winner later this month: http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensandPolitics.aspx

Thanks so much for entering the writing contest and blogging on StageofLife.com. We look forward to reading more of your essays!

Eric
CEO, StageofLife.com
Posted: Monday, October 8, 2012 7:37:22 PM
Comment by etiquetteguy

Bravo! You are your way to being one of tomorrow's leaders. Beautifully expressed understanding of some pretty common sense issues that affect every citizen!
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:32:31 PM
Comment by SOFLarchive

Congrats on winning the contest! I definitely agree with you.
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 7:57:40 PM